By Daily Sports on January 12, 2017
Maria Sharapova is set to make her official return from a doping suspension on April 26 after the former world No. 1 was granted a wildcard entry to Stuttgart's Porsche Tennis Grand Prix.
The tournament starts on April 24, with the 29-year-old Sharapova, who hasn't been involved a competitive match since the Australian Open in January 2016, due to play on the day her 15-month ban comes to an end.
The Russian has been keeping fit ahead of her comeback, appearing in a Las Vegas charity event in October 2016, and then playing an exhibition match against Olympic singles champion Monica Puig in Puerto Rico last month.
"I could not be happier to have my first match back on tour at one of my favorite tournaments," said Sharapova, a three-time winner at the annual clay court event.
The head of the WTA, Steve Simon, has already said he is looking forward to Sharapova's return -- a sentiment echoed by Porsche Tennis Tournament Director Markus Günthardt -- but not everyone on the tour has been so welcoming.
The Russian was initially banned for two years by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) after testing positive for the banned substance meldonium in January 2016.
In October, the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) reduced the sanction by nine months, saying she bore "no significant fault or negligence." (cnn.com)
•Photo shows Maria Sharapova
Source Daily Sports
Posted January 12, 2017
You may also like...
Athletes, fans slam Donald Trump for insulting basketball...
Moratta backs transfer window move
Roma Brush Aside Cagliari to Move Into Serie...
Results of top European Leagues
Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich’s UK visa not renewed:...
Messi named in Argentina World Cup qualifier squad...

Edo Queens get home support ahead CAF qualifiers
Nigerian Triathlon Union fixes Sept 30 for election
Prolific Osimhen scores back-to-back braces
Ronaldo hits 977 career goals as Al Nassr thrash Al Riyadh 4-0
Racist abuse spurred Suzuki as Japan goalkeeper set for Premier League
Fury calls Joshua coward, casts doubts on super-fight
My basketball dream ended after visa denial — Ex-BBNaija star Hermes
Olayinka ready for Saudi journey
Why NSC picked Lagos to host intermediate games – DG
EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund
D’Tigress intensify World Cup prep in Spain
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,041 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,402 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,288 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,892 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,769 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,645 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,540 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,055 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,259 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,730 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,219 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,602 views)