By Daily Sports Nigeria on May 16, 2026
Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn has warned that the long-awaited heavyweight showdown between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury will be called off if either fighter loses their next bout, describing the stakes around both men’s upcoming tune-up fights as enormous, PUNCH Sports Extra reports.
Joshua is scheduled to return on July 25 in Saudi Arabia against Albanian heavyweight Kristian Prenga, while Fury is also expected to take a warm-up fight this summer ahead of their all-British clash later in 2026.
Both have signed contracts to fight each other, but Hearn told Sky Sports that a defeat for either man would end the showdown before it begins.
“In my opinion, if either fighter loses, you cannot do the fight,” Hearn said.
“I will feel sick at the ringwalk on July 25. Especially with what AJ’s come back from. I mean, there is that worry. Will he be the same? Everything we see in camp and in sparring lends us to suggest yes. But there’s a lot to overcome. That’s the importance of this fight as well in July.”
Hearn said both camps were fully aware of what was at stake and were focused on getting through the coming months without incident.
“Now we have signed to fight Tyson Fury. He has signed to fight Anthony Joshua. The only thing that stands in the way is July 25,” he said.
The Matchroom boss added that he did not expect Fury to face a particularly demanding opponent in his tune-up saying, “I don’t think he is going to be having a fight of any significance, even not the likes of Makhmudov. I don’t even think they’d have a fight at that level.
“They’ve got to do what they’ve got to do. I think everybody’s extremely focused, now that both fighters have signed, on just getting through the next couple of months and making sure we can give the world this mega-event.”
Joshua, 29-4 with 26 stoppages, last fought in December 2025, stopping YouTube personality Jake Paul in the sixth round in Miami. Fury, 35-2-1 with 24 stoppages, returned from a layoff earlier this year with a points win over Arslanbek Makhmudov in London.
Source Punch Ng
Posted May 16, 2026
You may also like...
Rohr calls up Kayode for Super Eagles London...
Falcons legend Perpetual Nkwocha weds heartthrob on Easter...
Kwara wins gold, silver in women’s squash singles...
Boxers win big on final day
Liverpool Held by Leicester But Go Five Points...
Ademola Lookman wins 2024 CAF African Player of...

Onuachu, Ndidi, Yohanna lead 12 Nigerians into Europa, Conference League playoffs
Lagos revives monthly cadet table tennis tourney
Fizdale names D’Tigers roster for World Cup qualifiers
Hearn threatens to sue White over Joshua, Fury fight
UK ex-Commonwealth champion Baptiste found jailed in Morocco
Why elite athletes use supplements — Report
No Kangaroo Committee Can Save Gusau, his NFF Jesters - Give Us Emenalo
Falcons to get new coach before Olympic qualifier
Okocha bemoans Eagles’ lack of home ground
Ajayi set for Silesia Diamond League showdown
Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move
Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,038 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,397 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,286 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,889 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,766 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,641 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,538 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,051 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,253 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,726 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,212 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,592 views)