By Daily Sports Nigeria on March 31, 2026
Title talk is growing louder around Moses Itauma after the unbeaten British heavyweight sensation delivered another stunning knockout performance, this time stopping the previously undropped and never-stopped Jermaine Franklin in five rounds on Saturday night in Manchester.
The 21-year-old, widely regarded as the most exciting heavyweight prospect in world boxing, floored the rugged American with a devastating uppercut in the fifth round that put the contest beyond doubt before Franklin even hit the canvas, with the referee waving it off immediately.
It was a statement victory that has left the boxing world buzzing about Itauma’s future, with World Boxing Organisation president Gustavo Olivieri confirming after the bout that he would recommend the Briton be named mandatory challenger for the WBO heavyweight title. Fabio Wardley and Daniel Dubois are scheduled to contest that belt on May 9.
Franklin, who had previously taken Anthony Joshua the distance and many felt deserved the decision over Dillian Whyte in 2022, arrived in Manchester a stone heavier than Itauma and entered the ring to loud boos from a crowd that had come solely to witness the heir to Mike Tyson’s throne.
From the opening bell, Itauma, who had blitzed Whyte in two minutes last year, went straight to work, jabbing at Franklin’s head while driving long straight left hands into his body. Franklin, to his credit, refused to back down easily.
He fired back with jabs and right hands and, when clipped, defiantly stuck his tongue out at the youngster.
A rasping right hook dropped Franklin in the third, but the American bounced back to his feet inside three seconds and continued swinging. He survived the fourth, too, with his toughness earning grudging admiration even from those who knew the end was inevitable.
The finish came in the fifth. A right hook that would have finished most fighters barely slowed Franklin down, but a perfectly timed Tyson-esque uppercut knocked him out cold where he stood.
With the win sealed, Itauma’s promoter Frank Warren wasted no time in laying out his ambitions, declaring his desire to match his fighter against undisputed heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk.
“Don’t you think we’d sell out Wembley Stadium if Moses Itauma fought Usyk there? We’d fill it five or six times over right now,” Warren said. “I really think that fight should happen, and it could be ordered. Itauma is something special. At this point, he is the best of anyone I’ve ever come across in the heavyweight division, without any doubt.”
Itauma himself remained measured, acknowledging the pecking order in the division while making clear he has no intention of standing still.
“Usyk has earned the right to do whatever he wants. There’s a hierarchy that I obviously have to respect. I don’t pay attention to it. I really don’t care what other heavyweights think or feel. I know the truth, and I know what I’m capable of. I just have to go out there and show it,” he said.
The win, Itauma’s 14th professional stoppage, came in front of a roaring Manchester crowd and extended what is fast becoming one of the most compelling knockout streaks in heavyweight boxing history.
Source Punch Ng
Posted March 31, 2026
You may also like...
Nigerian boxer ‘FBI’ vows to knock out Joshua...
Sheyi Ojo Scores Wonder Goal In Emotional Europa...
Englishman Butler Named New Coach of Liberia
Fit-Again Murray Hopes To Inspire Others
Ahead Algeria Friendly: Peseiro Shops For Osimhen, Umar’s...
Ibrahimovic Strikes Twice But Roma Level Three Times...

Plymouth striker Oseni shocked by Nigeria call-up
African athletes possess NFL traits in abundance — Umenyiora
AFCON 2027: Udeze warns Chelle not to underestimate opponents
Joshua, Fury in contract stalemate
Agunbiade emerges Nigeria’s lone survivor at WTT Lagos
Nigeria call-up boosted my confidence – Alebiosu
First Eagles invite thrills Rangers’ Oputa
270 athletes begin journey to stardom in Edo
Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,794 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,115 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,071 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,636 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,551 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,455 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,849 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,036 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,533 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,961 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,406 views)