By Daily Sports Nigeria on December 19, 2024
French Ligue 1 side Lille earned just €7m from Victor Osimhen’s high-profile transfer to Napoli in 2020, despite the deal being valued at over €70m, club President Olivier Letang has revealed, PUNCH Sports Extra reports.
The Super Eagles striker’s move to the Italian side included four Napoli players who never featured for the French club, raising questions about the true value of the transfer.
“The net amount, considering the player’s purchase, four players valued at €20m, but who were worth nothing, intermediaries and commissions, was €7m, more or less,” Letang told L’Equipe TV.
The revelation comes amid investigations by authorities in Italy and France into the circumstances surrounding the transfer, though Napoli have been cleared of any wrongdoing.
“Napoli have already been judged on this matter with two different levels of the justice system that cleared the club and directors, finding no irregularities,” club lawyer Mattia Grassani said last year.
The lawyer emphasised Napoli’s clean record, noting, “Napoli is the only club where the Prosecutor did not ask for the judgment to be revoked, which then led to Juventus having first a 15-point and then a 10-point Serie A penalty.”
Letang, who became Lille’s President months after Osimhen’s departure, has now shed light on the complex financial structure of the deal that took the Nigerian to Italy.
The transfer marked a significant milestone in Osimhen’s career, which began in the challenging environment of Lagos’ Olusosun community. After impressing at the 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup, where he won the Golden Boot with a record 10 goals, he earned a move to Bundesliga side Wolfsburg.
Following a difficult spell in Germany, Osimhen found his feet at Charleroi in Belgium before joining Lille in 2019, where he scored 18 goals in 38 appearances across all competitions.
His subsequent move to Napoli proved transformative for both player and club. The 25-year-old striker netted 76 goals in 133 appearances for the Partenopei, playing a crucial role in ending their 33-year wait for the Serie A title in 2023. The Lagos-born forward also claimed the Serie A Golden Boot and became the highest-scoring African in Italian top-flight history, surpassing George Weah’s record of 46 goals.
Osimhen, who was crowned 2023 CAF African Footballer of The Year, is currently on loan at Turkish giants Galatasaray, where he has maintained his prolific form with 10 goals and five assists in 14 appearances.
Though contracted to Napoli until 2026, the striker’s future remains uncertain with clauses in his contract allowing for a permanent departure either in January or summer.
His time in Naples was marked by consistent goal-scoring and the historic Scudetto triumph, but this latest revelation about his transfer fee adds another chapter to what has been a complex relationship between the player and the Italian club.
Source Punch Ng
Posted December 19, 2024
You may also like...
MFM have not given up the title -...
Lewandowski Returns To Training Ahead Of PSG Clash...
‘Joshua punches like Mike Tyson’
Manchester United top Premier League pay scale
NCC Tennis winners get N17m
Falconets lose to Mexico in W’Cup preparatory game...

Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal
I’m going to school Paul – Joshua
EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown
Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,186 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,923 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,507 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,633 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,592 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)