Hearn defends Joshua after Fury’s comments

By Daily Sports Nigeria on November 29, 2024

Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn has launched a scathing defence of Anthony Joshua following recent comments from Tyson Fury, who labelled his fellow Briton and Daniel Dubois as “limited” fighters.

Fury, ahead of his highly anticipated rematch with Oleksandr Usyk, claimed that Joshua’s failure to beat the Ukrainian heavyweight proved he was not as skilled as he believed.

However, Hearn has hit back, criticising Fury’s arrogance after his shock defeat to Usyk earlier this year. The promoter insists that Joshua remains a serious threat in the heavyweight division, arguing that any fighter can win on their night.

Fury’s comments were made ahead of his title rematch with Usyk, in which he stressed his distinct boxing style would be the key to overcoming the Ukrainian. He pointed to Joshua’s inability to overpower Usyk and questioned why others, including Dubois, had failed to beat him, dismissing them as limited.

Despite his bravado, Fury’s credibility has been called into question since his loss to Usyk, with many now seeing him as more vulnerable. Hearn believes Fury’s recent defeat proves that boxing is an unpredictable sport, and Joshua, despite his own recent struggles, remains capable of overcoming the best.

“There’s always this talk about fighters being ‘limited,’” Hearn said.

“But we’ve seen what happens when the so-called best in the division get beaten. Fury himself has been knocked down and beaten by Usyk. So, to say Joshua can’t do it… it’s a bit rich.”

Hearn also insisted that on any given night, Joshua could defeat any opponent in the division, including Fury.

Joshua, who has recently been recovering from a fifth-round knockout loss to Dubois, is reportedly targeting a return to the ring in May or June, with a possible rematch against the latter still on the cards.

However, Hearn did not rule out the possibility of the long-discussed Fury fight, though it appears Fury’s focus is currently on Usyk.

“AJ is still looking for the big fights, and we’ll see where it goes. But there’s no rush for Joshua; we’ll get him back in the ring and go from there,” Hearn said.

With the heavyweight division in turmoil following recent results, it seems Joshua’s quest for a marquee fight is far from over, and as Fury continues to dismiss him, Hearn’s support remains unwavering.

Source Punch Ng

Posted November 29, 2024


 

You may also like...
Hamilton Pays Tribute To ‘Legend’ Moss

Sierra Leone-Benin Qualifier Postponed Over Covid-19 Tests Row...

Sepp Blatter proposes joint UK & Ireland bid...

Olori Babes Set For Pro League Promotion Play-Off...

Neymar Anointed To Succeed Messi, CR7

Rohr goes tough on 'vacation players'

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,320 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,490 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,474 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,075 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,059 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,057 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,874 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,420 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,531 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,134 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,572 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,994 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media