By Daily Sports Nigeria on February 24, 2024
Basketball players have lamented the controversy surrounding the D’Tigers’ trip to Tunisia for the 2025 FIBA AfroBasket qualifiers window, saying it’s a reflection of how they’ve been poorly treated by the Nigeria Basketball Federation, Saturday PUNCH reports.
There was anxiety among basketball stakeholders on Wednesday after the NBBF announced that former African champions D’Tigers had been withdrawn from the 2025 FIBA AfroBasket qualifiers, which begins today in Tunisia.
According to a release by the NBBF, the withdrawal from the qualifiers was due to the inability of the Ministry of Sports to provide the federation with the needed funds for the trip.
A few hours later, the federation again said it was making last-minute attempts for D’Tigers to participate in the tournament.
“The federation is aiming to finalise a roster and gather funds in time to play AfroBasket qualifiers,” a post read on the D’Tigers X handle.
The PUNCH has, however, gathered that the team arrived in Tunisia Thursday ahead of the qualifiers.
Some basketball players, who spoke with The PUNCH, said they weren’t surprised by the NBBF’s statement, adding that they had been unfairly treated over the years.
Former First Bank player, Theresa Dangosu, said, “At this point, there’s nothing to be shocked about when it concerns basketball because of the type of leadership we have in the NBBF, and we can also extend it to the country as a whole.
“The main focus has always been placed on football, as though there aren’t other sports in Nigeria.
“Our women D’Tigress won their fourth consecutive AfroBasket, there weren’t any encomiums from the government to them, they just qualified for the Olympics, and still everyone is silent.
“Even with how badly everyone said the Super Eagles performed at the AFCON and came second against hosts, Ivory Coast, they still got welcomed, celebrated and given honours, awards, lands and money.”
She added, “I think we all know where the priorities of the Nigerian government lie when it comes to sports.
“And can you blame the government? No, because we have a failed system in the NBBF, people who cannot go to the government with the needs of the federation because of how much they’ve abused those privileges in the past. This is a clear case of incompetence because what does an incompetent body do? Blame everyone every time for their failures, nothing is ever their fault.
“This is where we are in the affairs of governance with the NBBF and the country as a whole, so nothing surprises me again.”
Marilyn Ogoigbe, who plays for First Bank basketball club, said NBBF officials cared less about the players.
She said, “About this, I’m not surprised at all, I mean the people in charge don’t care about players, they are all about themselves.
“A tournament they ought to have prepared for and they decided to withdraw days before jump ball because of lack of funds. What’s the ministry doing about it? I mean they were able to sponsor the Super Eagles to AFCON, why is basketball always different?”
Former Rivers Hoopers star Austin Akpejiori, who now features for Tunisian side Union Sportive El Ansa, said he was left embarrassed after the NBBF announced they had withdrawn D’Tigers from the tournament.
“Truth is I wasn’t shocked, I was embarrassed. How low can we get as a basketball community? The federation keeps staining our white.”
It is not the first time that paucity of funds has threatened the D’Tigers’ participation in a major basketball tournament.
In 2019, the team nearly missed out on featuring in the 2019 FIBA World Cup until a late intervention by the then Muhammadu Buhari-led government.
Source Punch Ng
Posted February 24, 2024
You may also like...
McIlroy backs Harrington for Ryder Cup captaincy in...
I became embarrassed at Man Utd — Rooney...
Zidane struggling to shore up Real defence
Ancelotti hails in-form Robben
Chelsea Ready to Grant Sarri Juventus Move
Ali greatest boxer ever, says Joshua

WAFCON: Ajibade insists Falcons gave everything
Dolphins begin WBPL title defence with 59-46 win
Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward
Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins
Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset
Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup
Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback
Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure
Agege LG boss kicks off 2026 Obasa Summer Games
Super Falcons miss first Women’s World Cup after 2-1 S’Africa loss
Joshua, Fury fight hits stumbling block
Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,030 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,389 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,277 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,877 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,756 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,633 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,526 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,039 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,247 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,717 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,205 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)