By Daily Sports Nigeria on August 2, 2023
World football body FIFA has announced its plan to pay prize money directly into the players’ accounts of the winners of the ongoing women’s World Cup in Australia/New Zealand.
FIFA Secretary-General, Fatma Samoura, confirmed this in a viral video on social media saying the policy change is due to unpaid allowance issues involving Nigeria’s Super Falcons.
The Falcons head coach, Randy Waldrum, had earlier revealed that some players were owed “per diem and bonuses” from two years ago.
The development caused a stir and almost affected the preparation of the Super Falcon players with most of them insisting on missing the training to protest their unpaid bonuses.
However, in the video, Samoura acknowledged that “things have been tough” for the Falcons.
She added that FIFA for the first time would monitor that match bonuses got to the players directly.
“I know that things have been tough. We have to face the realities of Nigeria. It pains me a lot. It is because of you (the Super Falcons) that, for the first time, the prize money has been ring-fenced in the history of FIFA to ensure that it goes to you,” the FIFA secretary-general said.\
FIFA had announced that every player participating in the World Cup group stage would earn $30,000.
The match bonuses will increase to $60,000 in the second round of the competition.
Source Punch Ng
Posted August 2, 2023
You may also like...
Federer Speaks on New Sponsorship deal with Uniqlo...
World Cup trophy to hit Nigeria in March...
Tottenham Name Nuno Espirito Santo As New Boss...
Desabre Set For Ivory Coast Job
NPFL: 3SC will fight till finish, says Ogunbote...
German Govt, YEDI empower 2,000 adolescent girls with...

Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale
NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege
FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off
Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials
Bassey Africa’s best defender – Osimhen
Finidi targets NPFL title after CAFCL ticket
LOC chair promises unforgettable WTT Lagos
Akwa governor almost stopped Uyo pitch maintenance – Gusau
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,785 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,104 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,055 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,627 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,544 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,445 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,842 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,028 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,526 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,953 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,400 views)