Indian Wells Open: Djokovic Set To Pull Out Of Tourney

By Daily Sports Nigeria on March 14, 2023

Novak Djokovic is poised to withdraw from the Indian Wells Open as his hopes of a Covid-19 vaccine exemption dwindle, according to reports.
The world No 1’s wish for an exemption for next week’s tournament is fading, with Djokovic admitting on Thursday he will pull out before the draw is made whether or not a decision is confirmed.
There are only five days until the opening Masters competition this season and the 35-year-old has not yet received a response from the US government about his application.
He said: ‘Whatever the decision is, if I’m not allowed, I’m going to pull out, of course, before the draw.
‘Let’s see what the answer is, then I’ll take it from there. I’ll focus right now on the tournament here in Dubai, then we’ll see what’s next.’
The US is the only country on the ATP tour for which players must be vaccinated – though that rule is set to be lifted on May 11 by President Joe Biden’s office – three months before the Grand Slam US Open.
Djokovic missed the flagship US Open and several other competitions in the US last year after the Centre for Disease Control did not ease its regulations. Indian Wells and Miami organisers have urged the government to let him in to the country.
The Serbian did not withdraw from last year’s Indian Wells entry list until after the draw was made, which was controversial given his decision meant the first alternate had to go through qualifying rather than taking his spot, and denied another the opportunity to take the qualifying place.
But this year, he has insisted he will pull out before the draw rather than waiting until shortly before the first match.
His final decision could come on Saturday, after the Dubai Duty Free Championships ends, with the Indian Wells draw on Sunday, a day before the event begins.
If Djokovic does withdraw, Spanish teenager Carlos Alcaraz can go top of the world rankings, but only if he wins the tournament.
The veteran, who is 15 games unbeaten, faces 2021 US Open champion Daniil Medvedev in the Dubai semi-final on Friday.
British star Emma Raducanu, 20, was handed a Miami Open wildcard spot on Thursday and will also appear at Indian Wells after several other players withdrew.

Source Punch Ng

Posted March 14, 2023


 

You may also like...
World Cup: Super Falcons’ Qualification Hopes Hang after...

Williams discloses birth experience, says she almost died...

MLS Review: Ibrahimovic scores as Galaxy end seven-game...

Ferdinand Recalls Rejecting Barcelona Move

Joshua camp ‘begging’ for fight — Wilder

Breaking News: Deutsch Resigns As Abia Warriors Technical...

 

Latest News Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal I’m going to school Paul – Joshua EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing 'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,186 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,923 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,506 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,633 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,592 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media