By Daily Sports Nigeria on March 6, 2023
Leicester City manager, Brendan Rodgers, refused to blame Nigerian striker, Kelechi Iheanacho, for missing goal-scoring chances in their 1-0 loss to Southampton on Saturday.
The East Midlands side’s 2022/23 season campaign has not gone well as they have only won seven games this season and have lost an additional fifteen.
Their attempt to claw back from their bad form against Ruben Selles’ side was thwarted once again as Carlos Alcaraz gave Southampton the lead after 35 minutes, smashing a shot past Leicester keeper Danny Ward.
Rodger’s team consistently had the best opportunities to tie the score, with Super Eagles forward Iheanacho heading three exquisite crosses off goal in the first half.
Midway through the second half, the 25-year-old was given another chance after intercepting a ball from Irish goalie Gavin Bazunu. But the former Manchester City player’s raised attempt went wide.
Leicester’s performance attracted criticism from English pundits, Gary Linekar and Ian Wright with Iheanacho mentioned for wasting most of the chances.
“Leicester only had themselves to blame. So profligate in front of goal,” Linekar tweeted after the game.
“You can’t miss the chances I saw. This header (from Iheanacho), I don’t know what to say. It’s such a poor header. The next one (Iheanacho), just head it back where it came from,” Wright added.
In response to the Super Eagles attacker’s efforts, the former Swansea City boss showered praise on him in a post-game interview and claimed that he had been a menace to their opponents.
“He’s been brilliant for us of late. He’s been the one who looks like the threat. He kept fighting and kept working. He had two really good headers but couldn’t make the finish. The opportunity on the edge of the box, we’ve seen him score those recently, where he guides it into the corner. At least he was there to miss it,” he told Leicester Mercury.
Leicester are now sitting three points above the relegation zone in 15th place with 24 points from 25 matches.
Source Punch Ng
Posted March 6, 2023
You may also like...
Hiddink hails Mikel, Chelsea’s “dirty work” in win...
Dubois warns Joshua ahead of rematch
Title Race Not Over, Says Guardiola As Man...
Super Falcons Thrash Equatorial Guinea 9-0 To Win...
Standing tall: Onuachu hits brace in Trabzonspor win...
8 Teams Qualify For Finals Of Div. 1...

Joshua, Fury in contract stalemate
Agunbiade emerges Nigeria’s lone survivor at WTT Lagos
Nigeria call-up boosted my confidence – Alebiosu
First Eagles invite thrills Rangers’ Oputa
270 athletes begin journey to stardom in Edo
Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double
2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off
Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,790 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,112 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,069 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,636 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,550 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,455 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,846 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,034 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,530 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,959 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,405 views)