World Cup 2022: Alcohol sales banned at World Cup stadiums in Qatar

By Daily Sports Nigeria on November 19, 2022

Alcohol was set to be served “in select areas within stadiums”, despite its sale being strictly controlled in the Muslim country.

Those in corporate areas of stadiums at the tournament will still be able to purchase alcohol.

The World Cup starts on Sunday when Qatar play Ecuador.

Budweiser, a major sponsor of Fifa, is owned by beer maker AB InBev and had exclusive rights to sell beer at the World Cup.

“Following discussions between host country authorities and Fifa, a decision has been made to focus the sale of alcoholic beverages on the Fifa fan festival, other fan destinations and licensed venues, removing sales points of beer from Qatar’s Fifa World Cup 2022 stadium perimeters,” said a statement from world football’s governing body.

“There is no impact to the sale of Bud Zero which will remain available at all Qatar’s World Cup stadiums.

“Host country authorities and Fifa will continue to ensure that the stadiums and surrounding areas provide an enjoyable, respectful and pleasant experience for all fans.

“The tournament organisers appreciate AB InBev’s understanding and continuous support to our joint commitment to cater for everyone during the Fifa World Cup Qatar 2022.”

Budweiser posted a message on Twitter on Friday saying, “Well, this is awkward” before the post was later deleted.

An AB InBev spokesperson said that they could not proceed with “some of the planned stadium activations” because of “circumstances beyond our control”.

The Football Supporters’ Association (FSA) criticised the timing of the decision to ban the sale of beer for most fans.

“Some fans like a beer at a game and some don’t, but the real issue is the last minute U-turn which speaks to a wider problem – the total lack of communication and clarity from the organising committee towards supporters,” said an FSA spokesperson.

“If they can change their minds on this at a moment’s notice, with no explanation, supporters will have understandable concerns about whether they will fulfil other promises relating to accommodation, transport or cultural issues.”

In August, Fifa changed the start date of the World Cup so that the first game of the competition would be Qatar facing Ecuador.

The game was scheduled to be played on 21 November as the third game, with Senegal against the Netherlands set to be the opening match earlier that day.

Source Sporting Sun

Posted November 19, 2022


 

You may also like...
Uncertainty Trails 9th IGP Taekwondo Championships

Court suspends NPFL over Giwa FC’s reinstatement

Wayne Rooney arrested at US airport

Griezmann brother mocks Real Madrid signing Courtois: Jump,...

Rangers Appeal Against Referee Jacob Gwatsa

Fifa to Hear Chelsea Transfer Ban Appeal on...

 

Latest News Onuachu, Ndidi, Yohanna lead 12 Nigerians into Europa, Conference League playoffs Lagos revives monthly cadet table tennis tourney Fizdale names D’Tigers roster for World Cup qualifiers Hearn threatens to sue White over Joshua, Fury fight UK ex-Commonwealth champion Baptiste found jailed in Morocco Why elite athletes use supplements — Report No Kangaroo Committee Can Save Gusau, his NFF Jesters - Give Us Emenalo Falcons to get new coach before Olympic qualifier Okocha bemoans Eagles’ lack of home ground Ajayi set for Silesia Diamond League showdown Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,038 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,397 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,286 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,889 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,765 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,641 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,538 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,051 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,253 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,726 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,212 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,592 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media