By Victor Enyinnaya on July 1, 2016
As countries intensify their preparations to harvest quality medals at this year’s Olympic Games in Rio, Brazil, more scandals have continued to trail the camps of Nigerian athletes.
Investigation that spanned several months revealed the desperate measures the home based athletes have resorted to, in order to realise their dreams at the most prestigious congregation of sports men and women in the world.
A dependable source, who is a chieftain of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) further stressed that the situation is so bad that these athletes have no other alternative than to resort to begging for money to meet up their training schedules for the Rio Games.
According to him, “the situation is so bad that such has never been witnessed before; and I can divulge some information to you if you insist on specific names. Olubunmi (pseudonym) called me for money and he’s not the only one. Many have gone into diverse means to raise money. This is what I know, after all the Sports Minister made it open and clear that there is no money to prepare athletes for the Games,” he explained.
“He’s a foremost and senior athlete but see the level he has fallen to just meet up with his training schedule. These guys are not relenting in their spirited bid to ensure they compete favourably with their counterparts in Rio, Brazil. However, the country is again going the very gloomy and improvised way which we have always done things.”
He further said that he would not be amazed if Nigerian athletes were left out of the Games.
It would be recalled that the sports ministry officials led by the Minister, Solomon Dalung have been arguing over the disbursement of N2.9 billion released by President Muhammadu Buhari for the qualifiers and preparations for the games.
“I am still at a loss why there’s so much quarrel over that money. The Minister ought to have gotten hold of the file by now even though the President approved the money before he came into office. There should be clear records on how the money was spent. But it is unfortunate that the way they are handling that expenditure has so infuriated Buhari that he is not ready to listen to anybody concerning the Olympics. I won’t be astonished if they don’t have the cash to take part in the games ultimately. The Olympics will begin August 5,” he adds.
It would further be recalled that just last week, former sports Minister, Bolaji Abdullah said in a paper at the international conference of African Sports Management Association in Abuja that, “It is noteworthy that none of these remarkable achievements (Atlanta ’96 etc) were a result of deliberately designed system or template. They were owed more to luck and the rugged determination of individual athletes than any articulate framework of process and outcome. The issues that led to our fantastic failure in Seoul were the same issues that led to our failure in London and almost definitely, Rio later this year.”
•Photo shows Team Nigeria athletics team.
Source Daily Sports
Posted July 1, 2016
You may also like...
Champions League: Ndidi sparkles as Leicester go down...
I’m Ready to Fight, Says Nigerian Boxer Helen...
Norwich City Promoted To The Premier League
I won’t win Ballon d’Or as I’m not...
Super Eagles Slump 0-1 To Cameroon In Austria...
Ikoyi Golf Community begins preparation for 2022 Nigeria...

Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward
Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins
Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset
Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup
Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback
Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure
Agege LG boss kicks off 2026 Obasa Summer Games
Super Falcons miss first Women’s World Cup after 2-1 S’Africa loss
Joshua, Fury fight hits stumbling block
Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss
Katsina United clarifies Ozor’s death report
SWAN Congratulates New Anambra CP Ama On Assumption Of Duty
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,030 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,387 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,277 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,877 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,756 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,632 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,526 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,036 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,246 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,717 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,205 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)