‘Why I Will Stop Signing African Players’ —Napoli President, De Laurentiis

By Daily Sports Nigeria on August 3, 2022

Napoli President Aurelio de Laurentiis has vowed never to sign another African player unless a promise is made not to take part in the Africa Cup of Nations.

According to Football Italia, De Laurentiis made this known at a live-streamed event.

The 73-year-old’s comment may not be unconnected to Super Eagles striker Victor Osimhen’s frequent national team duties.

Last season, Osimhen suffered a serious fracture to his face following a collision with Inter‘s Milan Skrinier and had to undergo surgery.

He also tested positive for COVID-19 but came out to declare himself fit for the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon early this year but did not eventuality feature.

The Serie A club has just two Africans currently in their squad, Osimhen and Cameroon star André-Frank Zambo Anguissa.

Senegal skipper, Kalidou Koulibaly recently joined Chelsea after spending eight years at Napoli.

However Anguissa and Koulibaly represented their countries with the latter leading Senegal to a first ever AFCON title.

And fielding questions at the live-steamed event, De Laurentiis said:“I told them, lads, don’t talk to me about Africans anymore.

“I love them, but either they sign something confirming they’ll back out of playing the Africa Cup of Nations, or otherwise between that tournament, the World Cup qualifiers in South America, these players are never available!”

“We are the idiots who pay salaries only to send them all over the world playing for others,” De Laurentiis said.

Napoli club lawyer, Mattia Grassani, had stated back in December in reaction to the COVID outbreak that the club will take legal actions to ‘protect their players’ after Osimhen declared himself fit and available to represent Nigeria at the AFCON.

“Considering the epidemiological situation, there could be legal action, because this tournament (AFCON) takes away valuable resources from the clubs,” Grassani said last year in reaction to the COVID19 outbreak.

“It is a particular historic moment, so it would be different if we felt 99 per cent confident of the situation. The clubs invested a lot of money for signing players like Victor Osimhen, so if he were to become infected, that’d be tough to deal with.

“The first step would be legal action to prevent the call-up, then if there were concrete elements to sue because the health standards are not the same as in European competitions, then there could be more appeals to gain an exemption for Europe-based players.”

 

 

Source Complete Sports Nigeria

Posted August 3, 2022


 

You may also like...
Barcelona Crash Out Of Copa After Bilbao Loss...

Ndidi wins Leicester Young Player Award

Inter Pushes Chelsea To Release ‘Desperate’ Lukaku On...

Rangnick Says Martial Issue Resolved

Arsenal Spank Newcastle To Boost Champions League Hopes...

Southampton Beat Brentford In Front Of New Owner...

 

Latest News Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double 2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success Adeshina to headline PFL Africa Lagos debut Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,788 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,112 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,067 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,633 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,548 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,453 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,287 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,846 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,031 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,528 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,957 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,405 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media