By Daily Sports Nigeria on June 14, 2022
Former Super Eagles captain John Mikel Obi, at the weekend, showered prizes on outstanding athletes that emerged from the maiden edition of the Back2Base talent hunt programme held at the UNILAG Sports complex, Lagos.
Mikel was present all through the three-day talent hunt programme, while Sports Minister, Sunday Dare, attended the final on Saturday.
Mikel said he was very impressed with the level of skills exhibited by the youngsters, who participated in the three sports; Football, Basketball and Tennis.
While the former Chelsea star promptly fulfilled the cash rewards to the outstanding athletes across the three sports, he also promised to do his best to ensure they are given more platforms to actualise their dreams of becoming superstars in their chosen fields.
“I am very happy with the success of this first edition,” Mikel said. “For me, all the children are winners because they are all talented in one way or the other, and they have shown they all have a bright future ahead of them. I hope to see them get good clubs here in Nigeria and abroad so they can continue to improve on their skills and keep getting better.”
Having seen the large turnout that greeted the first edition, Mikel, who was last year appointed as Youth Ambassador by the Federal Government, assured he will make bigger plans to accommodate more youngsters in subsequent editions of his new project.
Emma Jebutu and Toyin Asogba emerged as the most outstanding boys and girls in the tennis category.
The duo thanked Mikel and the other brains behind the Back2Base talent hunt programme. They said they hope to play in the Grand Slams very soon.
In the basketball event, Ayomide Lasisi, Chika Okafor and Kunle Adesuyi were selected as the top three performers.
On their part, the trio of Abebayo Mubarak, Monday Pius and Samuel Adefeso were the top three players from the football event.
Chief Executive Officer and Founder of Avianna and Harvey Entertainments, Ahmed Fadekemi, who midwifed the Back2Base talent hunt programme, said that aside from the N6 million shared across the outstanding athletes, the youngsters also had a dinner and mentorship session with Mikel.
Source The Guardian Nigeria
Posted June 14, 2022
You may also like...
Arteta moves to end Arsenal’s Anfield woes
NBA: Lebron James makes history, hits 39,000 points...
Falconets Confident As Race To Costa Rica Begins...
PUMA Terminates Four-Year Contract With Nigeria
Djokovic Claims Record Sixth Paris Masters Title
WAFU Cup: Super Falcons claim bronze

D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double
2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off
Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success
Adeshina to headline PFL Africa Lagos debut
Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale
NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege
FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off
Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,785 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,106 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,059 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,629 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,545 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,446 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,842 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,028 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,526 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,953 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,400 views)