By Esther Pushe on June 7, 2022
A group, Concerned Basketball Stakeholders, has called on the Federal Government to ban all the key actors in the crisis rocking the game in the country.
In an open letter signed by Muhammad Sulaiman on behalf of the group, the CBS frowned at the state of the game in the country and called on President Muhammadu Buhari to ban leaders of the factions that led to Nigeria’s withdrawal from international basketball.
Sulaiman said: “Efforts to build a national Basketball team around foreign Players and the Afrobasket victories can only be useful to the Country if carefully conceived with backward integration, to have impact on the growth of Basketball in the Country and development of the economy.
“We acknowledge the enormous efforts of past Presidents of the Federation particularly in recent times, HRH U.K Umar and HRM The Gbong Gwom Jos, Elder Buba Gyang for their tireless efforts during their tenure at putting Basketball on a growth trajectory, that has gradually been eroded by ego parading and self-serving so-called administrators.
Between these two past Presidents, they have established age-group tournaments that saw Nigeria dominate African Junior Championships, win Olympic and World Cup tickets, and established highly competitive local leagues for Men and Women, from where many home grown athletes were drafted to elite leagues worldwide and colleges in the US.
“We have to put the records straight, and in addition by asking that the Federal Government to follow the dissolution of the board, with a ban on the key actors holding the game by the jugular over the last many years. We wish to re-affirm that Basketball is the goose that can lay the golden egg for our teeming youths, but can also with clinical and well thought out reform, provide the template for other Sports to follow so that Nigerian Youths can prosper.”
Sulaiman in the letter to the President also added: “Multiple meetings aimed at resolving the crises have yielded no positive results. The Ministry and the FG have been severally misrepresented many times to FIBA and the public by elements from the Musa Kida faction who have used the well-known blackmail tool of interference to tie Government, and make FIBA call Government a third party. By this, Nigeria's sovereignty is being challenged and trampled upon by the NBBF gladiators.
“FIBA completely ignored government’s invitation to visit Nigeria to look into the Basketball crises. The Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC) was equally snubbed.
“Also known, is that the Ministry with the knowledge of FIBA went ahead to set up the Basketball Reconciliation Committee with membership drawn from all disputing parties. The Ministry concurred to the salient recommendations of the Committee. Notwithstanding, the crisis continued.
“Our findings also have shown that there is no NBBF money lodged in the CBN and that the only money in the NBBF account with the CBN is the “Adopt-an-Athlete” funds to the tune of US$230k, to support the 24 basketball players that represented the Country at the Olympics. This money has severally been confirmed, was raised by the Ministry and it was domiciled in the NBBF Domiciliary account until disbursement, and that the female players who have submitted their bank account details have since been paid US$9,500 each last year, and pending is the male players who are yet to submit their account details for payment.”
Source Daily Sports Nigeria
Posted June 7, 2022
You may also like...
Timothy Weah joins Celtic on loan
Ronaldo signs new deal with Saudi club Al-Nassr...
Enyimba Handed Tough Caf Cup Test But Finidi...
Mourinho: Tottenham Will Win Trophies Before I Leave...
Bissau pitch better than Abuja’s – Peseiro
Musa praised for ploughing on to showdown with...

Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal
I’m going to school Paul – Joshua
EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown
Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,186 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,922 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,505 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,633 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,592 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)