Salisu Yusuf has served his punishment, says NFF

By Daily Sports Nigeria on April 23, 2022

• ‘Ladan Bosso Was Recommended By Technical Committee’
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has called on Nigerians, who are calling for the removal of the newly appointed coach of Super Eagles B team, otherwise known as CHAN Eagles and the U-23 Olympic team, Salisu Yusuf, over his involvement in a bribe scandal in 2018, to shelve the idea.
 
NFF First Vice President, Seyi Akinwunmi, told The Guardian at Remo Stadium, Ikenne, venue of the 2022 MTN/NPFL/La Liga U-15 football tournament, that those painting the football house black for bringing Yusuf back to his national coaching job need to have a rethink. 
 
He said; “Yusuf has served his punishment and there is nothing wrong in re-appointing him.”

Salisu was banned for collecting bribes as an assistant coach of the Super Eagles after he was caught on camera in August 2018 accepting cash from men who posed as football agents to select two players for his squad to Morocco 2018 African Nations championship.
 
He was subsequently banned for one year and ordered to pay a fine of $5,000 by the NFF Ethics and Fair Play Committee, which ruled that the coach received $1,000 from the men.

 

Since his re-appointment last week, many Nigerians have tongue-lashed the Amaju Pinnick-led NFF, saying that Yusuf has no reason whatsoever to come near national coaching job. Some football analysts also carpeted the NFF saying that it is breeding corrupt coaches.
 
But the NFF first vice president insists there is nothing wrong with the decision to re-appoint Yusuf. “There was an issue, not of bribery, but indiscretion,” Akinwunmi explained.

“Yusuf served his term and it has expired.”

Asked if the NFF is not encouraging other coaches to take bribe with the reappointment of Yusuf, Akinwunmi responded: “The fact that he was banned for a while over an offense is enough to serve as deterrent to other coaches.”

On the reappointment of Ladan Bosso as coach of the Flying Eagles despite failing with the same team in recent past, Akinwunmi said; “Bosso was recommended to us by the Technical Committee. They are in a better position to answer such question.

Meanwhile, Akinwunmi has urged players featuring in the 2022 edition of the MTN/NPFL/La Liga U-15 football tournament at Remo Stadium to use the opportunity to make good career for themselves. He also tasked the young lads to make friends because, according to him, outside football, there is life.

Akinwunmi revealed that about five or six players in the present Super Eagles squad are close to their retirement age, and the U-15 football tournament would serve as an avenue to pick replacements for them.

 

Source The Guardian Nigeria

Posted April 23, 2022


 

You may also like...
Neymar Faces Criminal Complaint

US, Mexico Set For ‘Clasico’ In World Cup...

Chelsea Women Coach Hayes Says Covid To Blame...

Real Madrid’s Rodriguez ready to play after injury...

Liverpool Captain Calm Over Lack of Signings

CAF Women’s Awards 2024: Fans question Ajibade omission,...

 

Latest News Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,879 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,424 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,258 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,845 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,376 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,763 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media