By Daily Sports Nigeria on April 21, 2022
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) is awaiting a ruling from FIFA on a $1million compensation claim by former Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr for ‘unfair’ dismissal.
Rohr, who was Nigeria’s longest-serving manager after taking charge in August 2016, was sacked in December just four weeks before the delayed 2021 Nations Cup kicked off in Cameroun.
The NFF had agreed to pay Rohr’s salary until the end of his contract, which expires in December 2022, but he went to football’s world governing body to demand an additional sum for damages.
That claim was contested by the NFF, and a FIFA tribunal examining Rohr’s claim for damages concluded last week.
However, a verdict is yet to be communicated to either party.
“Mr Rohr’s the only one talking in the media about a case that is already with Fifa,” a top NFF official told BBC Sport Africa.
“That matter is being handled by our legal department and we are waiting [for] a verdict this week or next week before making any official statement.”
Rohr’s representatives were not available for comment, but the former Niger and Gabon manager confirmed he was seeking compensation.
“Now this case is with Fifa and they will decide,” the 68-year-old said.
A spokesperson for Fifa said the organisation will not comment about an ongoing case.
Rohr was highly praised for rebuilding Nigeria between 2016 and 2018, but nervy and lacklustre performances in more recent years, and his conservative approach were heavily criticised by the local media and fans.
Despite leading the Super Eagles to both Africa’s 2022 World Cup play-offs and qualification for the Nations Cup tournament, he came under fire for poor results against lower-ranked opponents during qualifying for Qatar.
The Franco-German, who guided Nigeria to the 2018 World Cup and to third place at the 2019 Nations Cup in Egypt, was subsequently replaced by Augustine Eguavoen.
Rohr led the West African nation in 58 matches, winning 31, drawing 13 and losing 14.
Culled from BBCSports
Source The Guardian Nigeria
Posted April 21, 2022
You may also like...
Onitsha City Marathon: Organisers Raise Hope of Indebted...
Bukayo Saka Dumps Nigeria For England
Red-hot Suarez bags brace as Barca stay top...
AC Milan Appoint Ex-Roma Chief Massara as Sporting...
Onitsha City Marathon: We ready for the event...
Caf Confederation Cup: Enyimba Aim To ‘Finish’ South...

FIFA Monday meeting to determine Eagles’ World Cup fate
Adesanya keen to prove GOAT status
Davis Cup: Ochei sparks Nigeria’s tennis revival
56 grassroots clubs battle for Taiwo Afolabi Cup
ICYMI: CAF reaffirms Morocco as host of WAFCON 2026, rejects postponement talk
PHOTOS: Kenya’s Ezra Kering wins 2026 Lagos city marathon
Chukwuemka prefers Austria to Nigeria
Enekwechi throws season best, Okezie finishes second in Serbia
Ogazi wins SEC Runner of the Week
Lookman has matched Osimhen’s impact – Peseiro
West Ham plot Chukwueze summer hijack
Tennis: Stakeholders dream big after Davis Cup promotion
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,556 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,865 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,777 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,417 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,331 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,249 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,116 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,665 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,835 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,365 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,758 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,222 views)