Africa Cup Of Nations In Doubt As CAF President Lands In Cameroon For Crunch Talks

By Daily Sports on December 20, 2021

The fate of January's Africa Cup of Nations finals in Cameroon hangs in the balance due to concerns over the country's readiness to host the tournament as Confederation of African Football (CAF) president Patrice Motsepe arrived in Yaounde on Monday for talks.

On Sunday, a CAF executive committee meeting resolved to go ahead with the 24-team event only if Motsepe was able to secure guarantees from Cameroon over its readiness.

Several members of the committee called for the tournament to be postponed, insiders told Reuters, but the majority voted for Motsepe to make an emergency trip to engage with the Cameroon government.

Concerns have been voiced over a lack of organisation, incomplete building work and the threat of coronavirus outbreaks among the large number of players and staff set to descend on the under-resourced country in the next few weeks.

"We are clear in terms of our commitment to make the AFCON a success in Cameroon, and I'm confident after our meetings today and tomorrow we can come out of here and give Africa and the world the confidence," Motsepe told reporters in Yaounde on Monday.

Last week, CAF sent its general secretary Veron Mosengo-Omba to urge the speedy completion of building work at the Olembe Stadium in Yaounde, scheduled to host the opening game on Jan. 9 and the final on Feb. 6.

But Sunday's executive committee meeting was told there was a major risk of the tournament failing, with construction work incomplete after contractors were not paid, insufficient accommodation and training facilities and several key organisational staff quitting.

Cameroon was originally awarded the hosting of the 2019 finals, but the tournament was switched to Egypt when CAF decided the central African country was not ready. Cameroon was then handed the 2021 tournament, which has since been delayed by 12 months due to the coronavirus pandemic.

CAF said last week that it would be importing its own laboratory, bypassing local healthcare facilities, to test players during the tournament.

Clubs in Europe, where a significant number of the players in the tournament play regularly, are concerned over the healthcare arrangements as the Omicron variant of the coronavirus continues to spread rapidly. (Reuters)

PHOTO: CAF President Patrice Motsepe


Source Daily Sports

Posted December 20, 2021


 

You may also like...
Why I Rejected Barcelona Offer — Ighalo

I'm far from quitting as Man Utd coach...

WAFCON Loss: Super Falcons Thumbed Up Despite…

Breaking News: Real Madrid Seal Spanish Title

Federer Unlikely To Play At 2022 Australian Open...

2022 World Cup playoff: Nigeria sports minister Dare...

 

Latest News Onuachu, Ndidi, Yohanna lead 12 Nigerians into Europa, Conference League playoffs Lagos revives monthly cadet table tennis tourney Fizdale names D’Tigers roster for World Cup qualifiers Hearn threatens to sue White over Joshua, Fury fight UK ex-Commonwealth champion Baptiste found jailed in Morocco Why elite athletes use supplements — Report No Kangaroo Committee Can Save Gusau, his NFF Jesters - Give Us Emenalo Falcons to get new coach before Olympic qualifier Okocha bemoans Eagles’ lack of home ground Ajayi set for Silesia Diamond League showdown Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,037 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,396 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,286 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,888 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,765 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,640 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,537 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,048 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,253 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,726 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,211 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,591 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media