By Daily Sports on December 4, 2021
Fifa has ruled an appeal from South Africa relating to a decisive 2022 World Cup qualifying match against Ghana is inadmissible.
Bafana Bafana had claimed they were “robbed” after their 1-0 defeat last month, with the only goal in the game scored from a first-half penalty. The South Africa Football Association (Safa) included allegations of “match fixing, match manipulation including corruption and bribery” when it lodged a complaint with football’s world governing body.
South Africa had needed a draw to reach Africa’s World Cup play-offs, but the result meant Ghana progressed at their expense on goals scored. Safa president Danny Jordaan later claimed there was a betting spike during the qualifier, which took place in Cape Coast on 14 November.
Meanwhile, an appeal by Benin about substitutions made by DR Congo in another crunch qualifier on the same day has also been thrown out. Fifa’s disciplinary committee declared both protests inadmissible as they did not meet relevant requirements – but also added the decisions are subject to appeal.
While Fifa referred to its Disciplinary Code and the regulations for the World Cup qualifiers, it did not offer the exact reasons for the rulings. It means, as it stands, that Ghana and DR Congo will be in January’s draw for the African World Cup play-offs, with two-legged ties to decide the continent’s five representatives in Qatar set to be played in March.
“We have received the decision without details and will request the reasons [from Fifa] and consider our options,” Safa chief executive Tebogo Motlanthe said in a statement on Friday.
Benin’s protest concerned their 2-0 defeat by DR Congo – a result which saw the Leopards qualify ahead of Benin, who had needed a win to advance.
The appeal was about the fact that DR Congo made a total of four substitutions across four windows during the match.
Under current Fifa regulations for international games, teams are allowed to make up to five substitutes but only during three windows in the game. (BBC)
•PHOTO: South Africa national team
Source Daily Sports
Posted December 4, 2021
You may also like...
I’m Not Blaming Anyone for Shock Defeat by...
NFF denies new Super Eagles jersey launch
Manchester United ‘Confident’ of New De Gea Deal...
Suarez on fire again; scores four goals as...
Ovoke strikes down Akwa United for Rivers
Quadri crashes Nigeria’s ITTF championship hope

Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal
I’m going to school Paul – Joshua
EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown
Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,186 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,923 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,507 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,633 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,592 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)