Doubt Over Email From 'Missing' Chinese Tennis Star

By Daily Sports on November 18, 2021

The head of the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) has cast doubt on an email released by Chinese state media attributed to tennis player Peng Shuai.

Steve Simon, chairman of the WTA, said in a statement he had a "hard time believing" the email was written by Ms Peng or on her behalf.

One of China's biggest sporting stars, she has not been heard from since she made sexual assault allegations against a top Chinese official.

The email was shared on Wednesday.

Broadcaster CGTN published the correspondence - allegedly written by Ms Peng - online. Written in her voice, it claims she was not missing or unsafe, adding: "I've just been resting at home and everything is fine."

The email also said the sexual assault allegation attributed to her was false.

Many responding on social media have cast doubt on the authenticity of the email - including pointing out that a typing cursor appears to be visible on the screenshot of the email published by CGTN.

Ms Peng - a former number one-ranked tennis doubles player - had not been heard from since posting an allegation about former Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli on Chinese social media site Weibo in early November.

She alleged she was "forced" into sexual relations with Mr Zhang - who served as the country's Vice Premier between 2013 and 2018 and was a close ally of China's leader Xi Jinping - in a post that was later taken down. She has not been seen or heard from publicly since.

The WTA and leading voices from the world of tennis have increasingly spoken out about Ms Peng since.

Earlier this week, world number one male tennis player Novak Djokovic said he hoped she would okay, adding that he was shocked, while Naomi Osaka voiced concerns about Ms Peng's whereabouts.

Responding to the email published Wednesday, WTA chair Steve Simon said the email he received "only raises my concerns as to her safety and whereabouts".

"I have a hard time believing that Peng Shuai actually wrote the email we received or believes what is being attributed to her," he said in a statement, adding: "The WTA and the rest of the world need independent and verifiable proof that she is safe."

Mr Simon also reiterated that her sexual assault allegation must be investigated "with full transparency and without censorship".

"The voices of women need to be heard and respected, not censored nor dictated to," he added.

Ms Peng, 35, is a prominent figure in Chinese tennis. She has won two Grand Slams at Wimbledon in 2013 and the 2014 French Open, both alongside Taiwan's Hsieh Su-wei.

Her allegation is the highest profile incident in China's fledgling #MeToo movement. It comes just months before China hosts the Winter Olympics. (BBC)

•PHOTO: "Missing" tennis player Peng Shuai

Source Daily Sports

Posted November 18, 2021


 

You may also like...
Barcelona Players Unhappy With Messi Wage Negotiations

Ogunbote quits Giwa FC

Ronaldo, Messi And Neymar Are My Idols —...

I became embarrassed at Man Utd — Rooney...

Eze Wins second Player Of The Month Award...

Swansea end Liverpool’s unbeaten streak

 

Latest News Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials Bassey Africa’s best defender – Osimhen Finidi targets NPFL title after CAFCL ticket LOC chair promises unforgettable WTT Lagos Akwa governor almost stopped Uyo pitch maintenance – Gusau Ezechukwu eyes double gold in African Champs

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,780 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,102 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,039 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,625 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,543 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,443 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,839 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,026 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,524 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,948 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,399 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media