World Rugby Union Bans South Africa’s Director Of Rugby, Rassie Erasmus

By Daily Sports on November 18, 2021

South Africa's director of rugby Rassie Erasmus has been banned from all rugby for two months and from involvement with the Boks on matchdays for a year.

The 49-year-old has been punished for an hour-long video criticising the refereeing in July's first-Test defeat by the British and Irish Lions.

World Rugby found the video contained "multiple abusive and insulting comments and attacks on the officials".

And it described his offences as "especially serious and egregious".

Erasmus, who has said he intends to appeal against the punishment,  is banned with immediate effect, meaning he will not be part of the Springbok backroom staff for his team's Test against England at Twickenham on Saturday.

Erasmus stepped down from his role as head coach in the wake of the Springboks' Rugby World Cup triumph in 2019 to become South Africa's director of rugby.

However, he has been conspicuous at many of the Springboks' games, most recently Saturday's win over Scotland, working as a water carrier for the team.

In addition to his bans, Erasmus and the South African Rugby Union are both required to issue full public apologies to the officials, who were led by Australian Nic Berry, within a fortnight.

World Rugby's independent committee found that "Erasmus appears not to appreciate the corrosive effect his behaviour has on the game more widely, as well as the viewing public and press".

Erasmus' video highlighted 38 incidents that he felt his side had been on the wrong side of, and also claimed that Springbok captain Siya Kolisi had not been treated with the same respect afforded his Lions counterpart Alun Wyn Jones.

World Rugby revealed that the video appeared online after Erasmus telephoned Berry demanding a meeting to discuss his performance.

World Rugby's verdict stated the video was "not an objective analysis of the refereeing seeking explanations, discussion, correction".

"Rather it lacked perspective, impartial analysis or balance. In places it is sarcastic."

In giving evidence on the case Berry accused Erasmus of "character assassination".

"I have spent many years trying to build my reputation as an international referee and in the course of his video which was posted online, Mr Erasmus has caused it immeasurable damage," he said.

"I feel that regardless of the outcome and any sanctions imposed, my reputation as a referee and person will forever be tarnished.

"The whole situation has been an extremely difficult time for my family and I." (BBC)

•PHOTO: Banned South Africa's director of rugby Rassie Erasmus seen walking away in file photo

Source Daily Sports

Posted November 18, 2021


 

You may also like...
DavNotch Tennis Open: Ajang, Mohammed advance to quarter-finals...

2019 Bet9ja Royal Cup: Adjusted Fixtures

Ighalo Reveals Career High Point

Joshua-Fury Set For Saudi Arabia — Hearn

Anthony Joshua Storms Nigeria, Visits ‘Sagamu’ His Home...

Coronavirus: Oparanozie Declares Nigerian Government ‘Incompetent’, Advises Nigerians...

 

Latest News WAFCON: Ajibade insists Falcons gave everything Dolphins begin WBPL title defence with 59-46 win Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure Agege LG boss kicks off 2026 Obasa Summer Games Super Falcons miss first Women’s World Cup after 2-1 S’Africa loss Joshua, Fury fight hits stumbling block Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,031 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,389 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,277 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,877 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,756 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,633 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,528 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,039 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,247 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,717 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,206 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media