Tyson Urges Fury To Fight On Amid Retirement Rumours

By Daily Sports on October 30, 2021

 

Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson has urged Tyson Fury not to hang up his gloves amid rumours that he might walk away from the sport following his electrifying win against Deontay Wilder earlier this month.

Fury sent Wilder to the canvas with a violent knockout punch in the 11th round to end the slugfest in Las Vegas and remain the undefeated WBC and lineal heavyweight champion.

In the leadup to the fight, the 33-year-old Briton suggested he could walk away from the sport happy, and others have said the “Gypsy King” has nothing left to prove after beating Wladimir Klitschko in 2015 and Wilder twice.

Tyson, who Fury is named after, said he hopes that is not the case after what he called a “very exciting” bout.

“Keep on winning brother, keep on winning,” Tyson said while promoting his new retail cannabis company, Tyson 2.0.

“He’s the lineal champion. He’s the man who beat the man. He is heavyweight boxing, period. He is, nobody else.”

Retired British boxer Ricky Hatton has said he hopes Fury will walk away from the sport and Fury’s wife Paris said she expects him to do so in the next couple of years.

It is unclear who Fury will fight next, although many hope he will get a shot at Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk, who stunned Anthony Joshua in September to take the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO belts.

The winner of that fight would become the first undisputed heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis 21 years ago.

Tyson said Fury (31-0-1) is already the best heavyweight in the eyes of fight fans.

“Ask anybody except for Usyk, who is the heavyweight champion? And Usyk might even say it’s Fury,” Tyson said.

Fury suffered from substance abuse, weight gain and mental health breakdowns that led him to the brink of suicide after he upset Klitschko to capture the IBF, WBA and WBO belts.

He was stripped of those titles when he was unable to defend them but he beat back his demons and re-emerged an even more fearsome fighter as well as a passionate advocate for mental health awareness.

As for Wilder (42-2-1), Tyson said the American needs to shake off the defeat and move on.

“Keep fighting, make money, stack your money up, and call it a day,” he said.

Tyson is looking to add to his own fortune with the launch of Tyson 2.0, which he hopes will become a “powerhouse” in the market.

And unlike some celebrity brands, Tyson, who hosts the popular podcast “Hotboxin' with Mike Tyson,” said he will be a hands-on manager.

“I’m going to be the guinea pig for all my products,” he said with a laugh. (Reuters)

•PHOTO: Tyson Fury on the canvass

Source Daily Sports

Posted October 30, 2021


 

You may also like...
Ronaldo’s Lawyers Ask Judge To Dismiss Rape Case...

Murray beats Bautista Agut to win Shanghai Masters...

Plateau United end first stanza as champions

Liverpool Hungry For More Success — Alisson

Anambra Police Commissioner Bags SWAN Award

Arsenal Set to Sign Defender Saliba

 

Latest News Edo Queens get home support ahead CAF qualifiers Nigerian Triathlon Union fixes Sept 30 for election Prolific Osimhen scores back-to-back braces Ronaldo hits 977 career goals as Al Nassr thrash Al Riyadh 4-0 Racist abuse spurred Suzuki as Japan goalkeeper set for Premier League Fury calls Joshua coward, casts doubts on super-fight My basketball dream ended after visa denial — Ex-BBNaija star Hermes Olayinka ready for Saudi journey Why NSC picked Lagos to host intermediate games – DG EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund Missing ’96 AFCON, CAF ban cost Eagles trophies – Okocha D’Tigress intensify World Cup prep in Spain

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,039 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,400 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,288 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,891 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,767 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,645 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,540 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,054 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,257 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,729 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,217 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,599 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media