Bruce Leaves Role As Newcastle Manager

By Daily Sports on October 20, 2021

Steve Bruce has left his position as Newcastle boss by “mutual consent”, 13 days after a Saudi-led takeover at St James’ Park, the Premier League club announced on Wednesday.

Bruce, whose departure was widely expected, took charge of his 1,000th match as a manager in Sunday’s 3-2 defeat by Tottenham – his only game under the new owners.

“Newcastle United can confirm that Steve Bruce has left his position as head coach by mutual consent,” said a club statement, which confirmed the search for a new head coach was under way.

“He leaves the Magpies after more than two years in charge, having steered the club to 13th and 12th-place finishes in the Premier League.”

Bruce, 60, said he was grateful to have had the opportunity to manage the “unique” club.

“I would like to thank my coaching team, the players and the support staff in particular for all their hard work,” he said. “There have been highs and lows, but they have given everything even in difficult moments and should be proud of their efforts.

“This is a club with incredible support, and I hope the new owners can take it forward to where we all want it to be. I wish everyone the very best of luck for the rest of this season and beyond.”

Bruce’s assistant Graeme Jones will take charge of the team for Saturday’s trip to Crystal Palace, with the Magpies still search for their first Premier League win of the season and sitting just one place off the foot of the table.

NEWCASTLE TAKEOVER

The £305 million Newcastle takeover was rubber-stamped by the Premier League earlier this month after it received legally binding assurances that the Saudi state would not control the club.

That was despite the fact that Saudi Arabia’s state sovereign wealth fund – the Public Investment Fund (PIF) – owns 80 percent of the club and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is listed as the PIF board’s chairman.

The protracted takeover, which ended the 14-year reign of the unpopular Mike Ashley, has been criticised by human rights groups as a Saudi attempt at “sportswashing” its reputation on the international stage.

Bruce was a deeply unpopular figure with the Newcastle support, in part due to his past as manager of northeast rivals Sunderland.

A recent poll from the Newcastle United Supporters Trust found that 94 percent of fans wanted him to quit.

However, he kept the club afloat by staying out of relegation trouble in his two full seasons in charge despite the limited resources provided by Ashley.

Former Roma coach Paulo Fonseca is the bookmakers' favourite to succeed Bruce, with ex-Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe and former Borussia Dortmund manager Lucien Favre also linked with the job.

A wave of Saudi investment is expected to transform Newcastle’s fortunes on the pitch, following the example set by English champions Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain.

“Newcastle United deserves to be top of the Premier League. It will take time, but we will get there,” new director Amanda Staveley told Sky Sports.

The club have not won a major trophy since 1969 despite regularly attracting crowds of more than 50,000. (AFP)

•PHOTO: Former Newcastle boss Steve Bruce

Source Daily Sports

Posted October 20, 2021


 

You may also like...
Five Red Star Belgrade Players Test Positive For...

2016 Rio Olympics: Committee targets $22 billion foreign...

CAF Champions League: Enyimba in grudge clash against...

Van Dijk Wins EPL Player of the Year...

Everton, Fulham agree £22m Iwobi deal

Thomas Tuchel admits he nearly missed Club World...

 

Latest News Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,878 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,424 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,257 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,845 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,375 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,762 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media