Ancelotti Backs Benzema To Win Ballon d’Or

By Daily Sports on September 25, 2021

 

Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti has backed Karim Benzema to be a Ballon d’Or contender this year after an extraordinary start to the LaLiga season which has seen the forward contribute eight goals and seven assists in just six games.

Benzema’s fine form continued in Real Madrid’s 6-1 win over Mallorca on Wednesday, as he scored twice – and provided Marco Asensio with two more – to help put the team top of the table.

It follows a stellar 2020-21 in which he scored 23 league goals before returning to the France team for Euro 2020, where he found the net four times in as many games.

“Yes, I think for what he’s doing and what he did last season, [Benzema] has to be on the list of players who could win the Ballon d’Or,” Ancelotti said in a news conference on Friday ahead of Madrid’s LaLiga game with Villarreal. “Having said that, Karim has time to win it. I don't think this will be his last season. I think Karim is like wine, he gets better with age.”

Benzema was joined on the scoresheet against Mallorca by Asensio, who grabbed a hat trick in his first start of the season playing in an unfamiliar central midfield role.

Asensio’s agent said on Friday that the Spain international had been unhappy at his lack of minutes – and the prospect of leaving Real Madrid on loan had been considered before a chat with Ancelotti this week.

“Marco was important before the game – even if he hadn’t played – and he’s important after the game too,” Ancelotti said. “He did well and showed his quality. He showed he can play inside in a different position. He’s a very, very important player in the squad.”

Eden Hazard was an unused substitute against Mallorca having started Madrid’s win away at Valencia three days earlier.

Ancelotti said last week that, given his injury record, playing two games in a row “could be difficult” for the former Chelsea winger.

“The important thing for Hazard in this moment is he’s training well, he doesn’t have problems, and he’s recovered well from the Valencia game,” the Italian added.

“But even if he’s 100% we still can’t guarantee that he’ll play every game, we can’t guarantee that for any of this squad... The important thing for us is that Hazard is well and it seems that he is.” (ESPN)

•PHOTO: Karim Benzema

Source Daily Sports

Posted September 25, 2021


 

You may also like...
Southampton And Leicester Play Out Thrilling 2-2 Draw...

Mourinho clarifies top four ‘miracle’ comment

Torres to leave Athletico Madrid at the end...

Barcelona confirm talks with Messi over new deal...

Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham boss urges fans not...

World Cup preparations: Tandoh thumbs up NFF

 

Latest News My basketball dream ended after visa denial — Ex-BBNaija star Hermes Olayinka ready for Saudi journey Why NSC picked Lagos to host intermediate games – DG EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund Missing ’96 AFCON, CAF ban cost Eagles trophies – Okocha D’Tigress intensify World Cup prep in Spain Onuachu, Ndidi, Yohanna lead 12 Nigerians into Europa, Conference League playoffs Lagos revives monthly cadet table tennis tourney Fizdale names D’Tigers roster for World Cup qualifiers Hearn threatens to sue White over Joshua, Fury fight UK ex-Commonwealth champion Baptiste found jailed in Morocco Why elite athletes use supplements — Report

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,039 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,400 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,288 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,891 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,767 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,643 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,540 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,054 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,255 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,728 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,215 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,598 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media