By Daily sports on August 21, 2021
Rafael Nadal said on Friday that he will end his 2021 tennis season early because of a left foot issue that has been troubling him for a year, ruling him out of this month’s US Open.
The world’s No. 4 player suffered an early exit in Washington this month, where he kicked off his leadup to the final Grand Slam of the year, and last week pulled out of the Masters 1000 event in Toronto because of the problem.
“I wanted to inform you that unfortunately I have to end the 2021 season,” Nadal tweeted on Friday.
The recurring issue flared up at the French Open, where he fell to eventual champion Novak Djokovic in the semifinals.
“Honestly, I have been suffering much more than I should with my foot for a year and I need to take some time ... to find a solution to this problem or at least improve it in order to continue to have options for the next few years,” Nadal said.
“I’m with the maximum enthusiasm and predisposition to do whatever it takes to recover the best possible shape to keep competing for the things that really motivate me.
“I’m convinced that with the recovery of the foot and obviously a very important daily effort ... this can be achieved. I will work as hard as I can to make it happen.”
Nadal’s great rival and fellow 20-time Grand Slam winner Roger Federer is also out of the US Open and will be sidelined for months because he needs knee surgery.
The US Open runs from Aug. 30-Sept. 12. (Reuters)
•PHOTO: Rafael Nadal
Source Daily sports
Posted August 21, 2021
You may also like...
Osimhen Can’t Stop Scoring . . . Powers...
Sanchez still on Arsenal’s plan
Chelsea Complete Havertz Signing
Brazil-Colombia friendly for Chapecoense confirmed for January 25...
Stanley Amuzie loan to FC Lugano
We Have Already Made A Decision On Future...

Plymouth striker Oseni shocked by Nigeria call-up
African athletes possess NFL traits in abundance — Umenyiora
AFCON 2027: Udeze warns Chelle not to underestimate opponents
Joshua, Fury in contract stalemate
Agunbiade emerges Nigeria’s lone survivor at WTT Lagos
Nigeria call-up boosted my confidence – Alebiosu
First Eagles invite thrills Rangers’ Oputa
270 athletes begin journey to stardom in Edo
Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,794 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,115 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,072 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,636 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,551 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,455 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,849 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,036 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,533 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,964 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,406 views)