By Daily sports on July 15, 2021
Lionel Messi has reached a verbal agreement on a five-year contract extension at Barcelona, with his salary to be reduced by 50 per cent under terms of the new deal.
The six-time Ballon d’Or winner was officially a free agent as of July 1 after he failed to agree terms over a renewal before his previous Barcelona contract expired on June 30.
Earlier in July, Messi led Argentina to the Copa America title thanks to a 1-0 win in the final against hosts Brazil, bringing an end to his wait for a first major international trophy.
The 34-year-old has now agreed to stay on at his boyhood club for another five years, meaning he will be 39 by the time his new deal runs out – when he will have totalled 26 years on the club’s books.
Messi sparked an acrimonious transfer row in August last year, when he officially informed the club his wish to activate a clause in his contract which would have seen him leave for free.
However, La Liga president Javier Tebas and Josep Maria Bartomeu – Barcelona president at the time – blocked the move, indicating that the clause was only active until June 10 and any suitor would have to pay his €700m release clause in full.
“I thought and we were sure that I’d be a free agent,” Messi told Goal.
“The president always told me that I could decide to stay or go at the end of the season and they’re now clinging to the fact that I hadn’t said anything by June 10, when it turns out that on June 10 the La Liga season was still ongoing and we were in the midst of this virus and this illness that altered the whole fixture calendar.
“And that’s the reason why I'm staying on at the club. I'm now staying because the president told me that the only way I could leave was by paying the €700m release clause, which is impossible.”
Bartomeu went on to resign in October, while Messi wanted to listen to the plans of his successor Joan Laporta before deciding his future.
Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain have been the front-running clubs interested in signing him. Messi also wants to one day play in MLS.
•PHOTO: Barca talisman Messi
Source Daily sports
Posted July 15, 2021
You may also like...
Juve Will Not Rush Ronaldo Back Into Action...
Falconets are not fully prepared for U20 Women's...
Giroud edges Gunners into round four
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Oladunni, Elected into Fellowship of...
Ronaldo ‘Approves’ Man Utd Signing
Finidi George Admits Regret Over Failed Spurs Move...

FIFA Monday meeting to determine Eagles’ World Cup fate
Adesanya keen to prove GOAT status
Davis Cup: Ochei sparks Nigeria’s tennis revival
56 grassroots clubs battle for Taiwo Afolabi Cup
ICYMI: CAF reaffirms Morocco as host of WAFCON 2026, rejects postponement talk
PHOTOS: Kenya’s Ezra Kering wins 2026 Lagos city marathon
Chukwuemka prefers Austria to Nigeria
Enekwechi throws season best, Okezie finishes second in Serbia
Ogazi wins SEC Runner of the Week
Lookman has matched Osimhen’s impact – Peseiro
West Ham plot Chukwueze summer hijack
Tennis: Stakeholders dream big after Davis Cup promotion
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,556 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,865 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,777 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,416 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,331 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,249 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,116 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,665 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,834 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,365 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,758 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,222 views)