By Daily sports on July 12, 2021
The Football Association has condemned racist abuse aimed at England players Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka after Sunday’s Euro 2020 final defeat by Italy.
All three players missed penalties in the 3-2 shootout loss and were targeted on social media after the game.
The Metropolitan Police is investigating the abuse and said “it will not be tolerated”.
The FA said it was “appalled” by the abuse.
England’s players have taken the knee before games at the Euros to highlight the fight against racial inequality.
England lose shootout in Euro 2020 final
“We could not be clearer that anyone behind such disgusting behaviour is not welcome in following the team,” said the FA in a statement.
“We will do all we can to support the players affected while urging the toughest punishments possible for anyone responsible.
“We will continue to do everything we can to stamp discrimination out of the game, but we implore government to act quickly and bring in the appropriate legislation so this abuse has real life consequences.
“Social media companies need to step up and take accountability and action to ban abusers from their platforms, gather evidence that can lead to prosecution and support making their platforms free from this type of abhorrent abuse.”
Rashford highlighted racial abuse he received on social media in May after losing the Europa League final with Manchester United.
And last year Sancho was among sport stars protesting against racism following the murder of George Floyd by a police officer in Minneapolis.
Social media companies have been criticised for a perceived lack of action on racist abuse on their platforms, and in April Instagram announced a tool to enable users to automatically filter out abusive messages from those they do not follow.
Following numerous instances of online abuse, a number of clubs, players, athletes and sporting bodies took part in a four-day boycott of social media in April to encourage companies to take a stronger stance against racist and sexist abuse. (BBC)
•PHOTO: Marcus Rashford and Jordon Sancho
Source Daily sports
Posted July 12, 2021
You may also like...
Nduka labels 3SC relegation as unfortunate
Serena Races Into Auckland Final
Uganda Move Closer To Last 16 with 1-1...
PSG respond to suspected tax raid reports
Murray salutes Djokovic’s “incredible consistency”
Sanchez Shines As Inter Milan Spank Sampdoria

Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother
Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney
First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor
Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp
Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu
Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday
NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands
Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ
NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,571 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,877 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,423 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,257 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,845 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,374 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,762 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)