By Daily sports on May 31, 2021
Eddie Hearn says Anthony Joshua won’t be told what to do by the governing bodies in being ordered to fight particular fighters such as Oleksander Usyk, reports boxingnews24.com.
Matchroom Boxing promoter Hearn says Joshua may take the fight with Usyk (18-0, 13 KOs), but he also may vacate the WBO belt if it doesn’t make “business sense” for them.
Hearn has a couple of other options that he’s looking at for Joshua’s next fight.
Presumably, those are bigger money fights than what Usyk brings to the table. Usyk isn’t someone who will attract a lot of excitement from the fans, as he’s not done anything at heavyweight to make a name for himself.
Hearn and Joshua (24-1, 22 KOs) are still steaming about losing out on the Tyson Fury undisputed championship fight, and the last thing they want is for a sanctioning body to order them around.
“We negotiate all the time with people who sometimes aren’t entitled to a fight, and we got it again now,” said Eddie Hearn to Boxing Social. “The WBO straightaway sent a little in, ‘You’re now fighting him.’
“At some point, you want to turn around and say, ‘You know what? Why can’t we just breathe and do our own thing, but of course, he [Joshua] wants to be undisputed, and that’s why we’re considering our options.
“I think the most likely scenario is, we fight Oleksander Usyk. If the deal is right and everyone is sensible, yes, I think that fight happens.
“But I’ll tell you something right now. AJ is not in the mood, nor am I to be told what to do by governing bodies right now. There is no guarantee for an undisputed fight right now.
“What are we holding onto a belt right now for? Promises, dreams, whatever. But he [Joshua] respects his belts, and he wants to honor his belts, and he’s done that for the last four years. So that’s the likely scenario,” said Hearn.
Meanwhile, Anthony Joshua is convinced Tyson Fury’s team never believed promoter Eddie Hearn would secure their £150 million undisputed fight – and set him up as a scapegoat, according to mirror.co.uk.
Joshua and Fury had agreed on a deal to fight in Saudi Arabia on August 14, but when Deontay Wilder’s arbitration case ruled in favour of a Fury-Wilder trilogy fight, they both had to pursue other opponents.
Now Joshua is expected to fight his mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk towards the end of the summer with Fury’s trilogy with Wilder pencilled in for July 24 in Las Vegas.
And Hearn revealed Joshua’s reaction when he broke the news.
“These people just expected you to fail,” he told Behind the Gloves. “They wanted you to fail and they didn’t think you could pull it off but you did.
“They were going to use you as a scapegoat, say ‘Matchroom couldn’t deliver it and move on, but we did deliver it and Tyson Fury came out and announced the fight.
“You can see by the internet responses that you’ve got to be quite thick if you can’t realise there’s one team that one team was trying to make this fight happen and one team that wasn’t.”
Joshua, aside from engaging in a very public war of words on Twitter with Fury, has remained relatively quiet since the fight was cancelled last week.
But Hearn has been vocal in his unhappiness with Team Fury’s handling of the event, which would have been the biggest fight of either man’s careers. (The Guardian)
•PHOTO: World heavyweight boxing champion Joshua
Source Daily sports
Posted May 31, 2021
You may also like...
Zidane denies rift with Ronaldo
Luke Rowe signs Team Sky contract extension until...
Jay Jay Okocha, Mutiu Adepoju, 10 Other Ex-Internationals...
Enyimba power into Champions League next round as...
Hurdles world record-holder, Amusan, charged with anti-doping violation...
Tyson’s Cannabis Company Wants Camp Nou Naming Rights...

NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off
Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff
Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney
Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies
Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot
Onyekwere-Lyons eyes double Commonwealth Games glory
Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest
W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,567 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,873 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,786 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,421 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,256 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,124 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,671 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,842 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,371 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,761 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,232 views)