By Daily sports on May 11, 2021
Portugal is a strong candidate to host the Champions League final after Uefa did not gain guarantees of exemptions it wants to move the game to Wembley.
Uefa, UK government officials and the Football Association met on Monday to discuss moving the game between Chelsea and Manchester City from Istanbul.
Uefa has decided it will be moved after Turkey was put on England's red travel list meaning fans cannot travel.
Portugal is on the green list so fans would be allowed to attend on 29 May.
The match could still be played at Wembley but it would require a major shift from the government, who have so far failed to reach an agreement with Uefa.
European football’s governing body feels in Portugal it is going to be easier to gain access for sponsors and broadcasters, who would need to be compensated if they were unable to attend the game.
Porto has been mentioned as a potential venue but it is understood Lisbon, which hosted last year’s final, is also a possibility.
Travellers from England to green-list countries must follows rules before departure but do not have to quarantine on their return.
UK citizens returning from red-list countries are required to quarantine at a government-approved hotel for 10 days.
Such a quarantine would have an impact on players involved in Euro 2020, which starts on 11 June.
On Friday, transport secretary Grant Shapps said Covid-19 red-list countries "should not be visited except in the most extreme circumstances".
Uefa had hoped to give both clubs a minimum of 4,000 tickets each for the game at Ataturk Olympic Stadium.
Shapps said that the FA was in talks with Uefa about switching the game, but that it is “ultimately a decision for Uefa”.
Chelsea Supporters Trust has said it will meet Uefa and will request that the final is moved to the UK, while Manchester City fan groups said they will be renewing their calls to move the game from Istanbul.
There is also a fixture issue to resolve, as Wembley is scheduled to stage the Championship play-off final on 29 May. However, it is understood the EFL would consider moving the match if asked by Uefa, and its board would make the final call. (BBC)
•PHOTO: Champions League Trophy
Source Daily sports
Posted May 11, 2021
You may also like...
National Sports Festival: Lack of synergy affecting Calabar...
Chelsea come from behind to win, as Leicester...
We’ll face Eagles with winning mindset – Lesotho...
Fulham Confident Of Keeping Tosin Adarabioyo
Benzema Fires Real Madrid into Copa Dey Rey...
Alvarez knocks out Khan to retain belt

Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale
NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege
FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off
Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials
Bassey Africa’s best defender – Osimhen
Finidi targets NPFL title after CAFCL ticket
LOC chair promises unforgettable WTT Lagos
Akwa governor almost stopped Uyo pitch maintenance – Gusau
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,785 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,104 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,054 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,627 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,544 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,445 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,842 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,028 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,526 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,953 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,400 views)