By Daily sports on April 21, 2021
Chelsea moved into the Premier League’s top four after a 0-0 draw against Brighton on Tuesday, but the result was completely overshadowed by the club’s role in derailing the controversial European Super League.
Just before kick-off at Stamford Bridge, it was widely reported that Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich had decided to withdraw from the controversial breakaway plan.
While there was no official confirmation from the club, the Blues are understood to be preparing documents to formally quit the tournament.
Manchester City became the first team to officially pull out, with Barcelona and Atletico Madrid also reportedly set to withdraw.
Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, Real Madrid, Juventus, AC Milan and Inter Milan are the remaining founder members of a Super League that now looks certain to crumble before a match is ever played.
Against that dramatic backdrop, Chelsea produced a flat performance, although the draw saw Thomas Tuchel’s side move into fourth place above West Ham on goal difference.
Chelsea visit West Ham on Saturday in a crucial clash in the race to qualify for next season’s Champions League.
Just hours before kick-off, it seems Chelsea would not have to worry about qualifying for Europe thanks to their invitation to the closed-door Super League.
But after resounding condemnation from across the political and sporting spectrum, Chelsea are set to walk away.
Abramovich and chairman Bruce Buck reportedly feared staying in the Super League would seriously damage Chelsea’s reputation, therefore undermining their anti-semitism campaigning and community work.
While Stamford Bridge remained empty due to the coronavirus pandemic, around 1,000 fans had staged an angry protest before news of the Super League meltdown broke.
The cheers when Chelsea’s imminent exit became public knowledge were as loud as any that greeted goals from the Blues when they fans were last allowed into the stadium.
‘The fans have won’
Chelsea supporter Dan Silver said: “I’m absolutely delighted that common sense has prevailed. The fans being at Stamford Bridge had an impact I believe.
“This is by far the best decision for the future of the beautiful game. No one should ever underestimate football fans again.”
Another unnamed supporter shouted: “The fans have won.”
Chelsea were believed to have initially agreed to sign up after fearing they would be left behind financially.
But they have back-tracked following furious criticism that culminated in the protest on their own doorstep.
Chelsea fans had unfurled banners reading: “RIP Football 1863 – 2021”, “Created by the poor, stolen by the rich”, “We want our cold nights in Stoke” and “Roman do the right thing”
Blue smoke bombs were let off and fans staged a sit-down protest in the road while police attempted to control the crowds.
Former Chelsea keeper Petr Cech, now the club’s technical advisor, called on demonstrators to clear the roads to allow the team bus to reach the stadium, shouting “give us time” before being drowned out by angry fans.
By the time the players walked onto the pitch, the news had broken that the Super League scheme was in tatters.
Interviewed just before kick-off, Tuchel admitted the saga had been a distraction for his team.
“It is annoying and frustrating. From Monday we wanted to build the momentum and atmosphere and being ready. It was not our fault but we have to accept we are a bit distracted,” he said. (AFP)
•PHOTO: Chelsea players
Source Daily sports
Posted April 21, 2021
You may also like...
Arsenal Weigh Up Bargain Deal For Bruno Guimarães...
2019 African Freestyle Football Championship: Benjamin, Adeshina win...
Emmanuel Dennis: Scoring Against Man United My Top...
Rangers escape Bantu FC scare to qualify for...
Coach plots Argentina downfall
Villa Fight Back To Take Play-Off Edge over...

Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale
NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege
FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off
Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials
Bassey Africa’s best defender – Osimhen
Finidi targets NPFL title after CAFCL ticket
LOC chair promises unforgettable WTT Lagos
Akwa governor almost stopped Uyo pitch maintenance – Gusau
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,785 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,104 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,057 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,627 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,545 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,445 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,842 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,028 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,526 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,953 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,400 views)