By Daily sports on March 17, 2021
South Africa’s leading tennis star Lloyd Harris earned the biggest win of his career in the second round of the Dubai Tennis Championships, an ATP 500 event in Dubai on Tuesday evening.
The 24-year-old qualifier shocked top-seed and world No 4 Dominic Thiem of Austria 6-3, 6-4 on Centre Court in the match which lasted an hour and 13 minutes.
Harris dropped only one point behind his first serve (29/30) and struck 23 winners to eliminate the US Open champion for a spot in the round of 16.
This is Harris’s first win against a Top 5 player. The 24-year-old claimed his first Top 20 win at last week’s Qatar Open (ATP 250 event) against Stan Wawrinka of Switzerland.
“I’m super, super happy with that win. [He is] by far the highest-ranked player I have beaten,” Harris told the ATP Tour.
“I look up to Domi a lot so, for me, it is a special feeling. I am really happy. Just the fact that I am playing good tennis, match in, match out now is giving me a lot of confidence.”
Harris was happy to engage in backhand-to-backhand rallies early in the first set.
The Capetonian proved the more consistent player on the stroke to earn the first break points of the match at 2-1 and he converted his second chance with a cross-court backhand winner.
Throughout the match, Harris held serve without being forced to deuce.
The World No 81 earned the only break of the second set at 3-3, when he rushed Thiem with deep backhand returns and capitalised on two double faults.
Harris closed the match with a powerful first serve into Thiem’s backhand.
“I was serving really well. I don’t think I faced any break points,” said Harris. “I took control of those games and [in] one or two games on his serve, I gave myself a good look. I played some of the important points very well. I am very proud of that.”
Harris will meet Serbian 14th seed Filip Krajinovic for a quarterfinal spot. (SuperSport)
•PHOTO: Fast-rising tennis star Lloyd Harris
Source Daily sports
Posted March 17, 2021
You may also like...
Mundine challenges Horn
Copa Lagos: Switzerland humiliate Nigeria 8-3 at Eko...
Champions League: Enyimba Progress after Goal Rain, Kano...
'Finally I lost to Arsene!' Mourinho takes ANOTHER...
Project Restart: Liverpool Mayor Drops Objection To Anfield...
Rashford Breaks West Ham Hearts With Late Winner...

Plymouth striker Oseni shocked by Nigeria call-up
African athletes possess NFL traits in abundance — Umenyiora
AFCON 2027: Udeze warns Chelle not to underestimate opponents
Joshua, Fury in contract stalemate
Agunbiade emerges Nigeria’s lone survivor at WTT Lagos
Nigeria call-up boosted my confidence – Alebiosu
First Eagles invite thrills Rangers’ Oputa
270 athletes begin journey to stardom in Edo
Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,794 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,115 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,072 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,636 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,551 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,455 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,849 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,036 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,533 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,964 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,406 views)