By Daily Sports on February 28, 2021
Bundesliga crisis club Schalke sacked almost their entire sporting leadership Sunday, including coach Christian Gross, after an alleged player revolt and a 16th league defeat plunged their nightmare season deeper into crisis.
“The decision had become unavoidable after results against Dortmund and Stuttgart,” said Schalke chairman Jens Buchta in a statement following Schalke’s 5-1 loss to Stuttgart on Saturday, a week after defeat to local rivals Borussia Dortmund.
“The team now owe it to the club and the fans to be as successful as possible in the last third of the season.”
Coach Gross, sporting director Jochen Schneider and team coordinator Sascha Riether were all relieved of their duties in Sunday’s mass clear out.
Gross’ assistant Rainer Widmayer and fitness coach Werner Leuthard were also fired.
The move comes with one-time giants Schalke bottom of the league and nine points adrift of safety, having won just one of their 23 league games this season.
Having been in the Champions League two seasons ago, Schalke are now hurtling towards their first relegation since 1988.
– Player revolt –
Veteran Swiss Gross, 66, had been in the job for only two months, having taken over from interim boss Huub Stevens at the end of December to become Schalke’s fourth coach this season.
Victory in his second game in charge saw Schalke narrowly avoid equalling a 54-year-old Bundesliga record of 31 games without a win, but Gross was ultimately unable to stop the rot.
The 4-0 victory over Hoffenheim remained his only win in 10 league games in charge, as Schalke remained rooted to the bottom of the table.
In this file photo taken on January 09, 2021 Schalke’s Swiss headcoach Christian Gross is pictured after giving an interview ahead of the German first division Bundesliga football match Schalke 04 v TSG 1899 Hoffenheim in Gelsenkirchen, western Germany. Ina Fassbender / AFP / POOL
Reports of a player revolt against Gross’ leadership surfaced in the German media last week in the build-up to Saturday’s defeat.
Team coordinator Riether sought to play down the rumours, saying it was “normal that players are disappointed” but denying there was a “revolution” in the dressing room.
Yet on Sunday, both Gross and Riether were shown the door as Schalke made one last desperate bid to save their season.
The club have already begun to rebuild for the second division, handing over squad planning duties to loan director Mike Bueskens and youth director Peter Knaebel.
Two weeks ago, they announced that sporting director Schneider would leave at the end of the season, a decision which has now been brought forward.
Knaebel will now take on “overall responsibility”, with support from Bueskens, Norbert Elgert and Gerald Asamoah, the club said.
A replacement for Gross as head coach is yet to be announced. (AFP)
•File Photo: Schalke’s sports director Jochen Schneider looks on during a press conference at the Veltins-Arena, in Gelsenkirchen, western Germany on July 01, 2020. Ina FASSBENDER / AFP
Source Daily Sports
Posted February 28, 2021
You may also like...
Serena Williams vows no ‘silence’ on social injustice...
Eagles strikers must be clinical – Esin
Ramos dismisses Ronaldo dig: No-one bigger than Real...
Smalling Sees Long-Term Future in Italy after Roma...
Football’s Return ‘Good For Everyone’ — Mourinho
Sports: Agenda For Sports Minister Sunday Dare In...

Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother
Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney
First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor
Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp
Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu
Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday
NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands
Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ
NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,879 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,424 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,258 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,845 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,376 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,762 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)