New Tokyo Olympics Chief: I’ll Host A Safe And Secure Olympic Games

By Inyama Ndubuisi Calistus on February 21, 2021

Fate played a very important role in bringing former Olympic athlete, Seiko Hashimoto, to prominence as she emerged the new head of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics organising committee, after her predecessor, Yoshiro Mori, resigned after making derogatory remarks about women.

Mori, 83, was forced to step down after saying that women made meetings “drag on” because they “talked too much”. He initially refused to resign and then attempted to appoint his own successor, Saburo Kawabuchi, a former head of the Japan Football Association.

Hashimoto’s appointment comes at a delicate time for the 2020 Games. A bout 80% of the Japanese public say the event – the first to be postponed in the modern Olympics’ 124-year history – should either be cancelled or delayed again.

Hashimoto addressed the media saying she understands there is “great public concern” over hosting the delayed Games during the coronavirus pandemic.

Speaking after her appointment just under five months before the Tokyo Games are due to open, the former Olympic track cyclist and speed skater said addressing the coronavirus threat was the most important task she faced, and she vowed to hold a “safe and secure” Games.

“Now I’m here to return what I owe as an athlete,” Hashimoto, who had been serving as Olympics minister, told the organising committee’s executive board. “As I’m taking on such a grave responsibility … I feel I need to brace myself.”

Hashimoto addressed media questions about an incident in 2014 when a magazine ran photographs of her making apparently unwanted advances towards a figure skater, Daisuke Takahashi, during a party after the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

“Both then and now, I deeply regret my behaviour,” she said.

Hashimoto denied any wrongdoing at the time, claiming she had simply shown Takahashi the same affection she would other athletes, who often “hug and kiss each other very naturally”. But she added: “If this invited misunderstanding from other people, I regret it and think I should be careful.”

Takahashi did not lodge a formal complaint and did not think he had been a victim of sexual harassment, his agent said at the time.

Hashimoto, who said she would address the gender imbalance on the organising committee, will remain as an MP but will be replaced as Olympics minister by Tamayo Marukawa, a fellow Liberal Democratic party lawmaker who held the post for a year from 2016.

Hashimoto said the Prime Minister, Yoshihide Suga, had welcomed her decision to organise a Games that would be “welcomed by the people”.

But her first task will be to address strong opposition to the Tokyo Games among the Japanese public and growing doubts about the wisdom of holding the event during the pandemic.

•PHOTO: Seiko Hashimoto has vowed to hold a ‘safe and secure’ Olympic Games in Japan. Photograph: Issei Kato/Reuters

Source Daily Sports

Posted February 21, 2021


 

You may also like...
Ronaldo Out to Win More Silverware with Juventus...

Barcelona storm Benin City for grassroots players as...

Shehu Sani Chides Primate Ayodele Over AFCON Prophesy...

Pochettino Wants Premier League to Extend Transfer Deadline...

UPDATED: Defending champions Senegal crash out of AFCON...

World Cup: Ebuehi dreams Super Eagles call up...

 

Latest News Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing 'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight Bayelsa begin NWFL title defence against Edo Queens ‘Nigeria ready for West Africa paravolley tourney’ 18 teams battle for Renewed Hope basketball tourney

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,185 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,922 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,503 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,632 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,198 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,590 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media