Rafa Benitez Leaves Position At China’s Dalian Pro, Blames COVID-19 Pandemic

By Daily sports on January 24, 2021

Rafa Benitez abruptly left as coach of Chinese Super League side Dalian Pro on Saturday, saying it was for family reasons because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The 60-year-old Spaniard, who took Liverpool to Champions League glory in 2005, had been in charge of Dalian since July 2019.

“Unfortunately, like so many things in the last year, Covid-19 has changed our lives and our projects,” the former Liverpool, Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Napoli and Chelsea boss wrote on his website.

“From today, both my coaching staff and I will sadly no longer be coaching the Dalian Professional F. C.

“It has been an incredible experience and for this I would like to thank all my staff, coaches, medical and club staff, as well as our players.

“Their commitment to us in the first place, their support during the time we were there, and their effort has been magnificent.

“The pandemic is still here, for all of us, and supporting our families has been a priority when making this decision.”

Benitez had one more season left on his estimated 12-million-pound-a-year ($16 million) contract at Dalian, in China’s northeast.

British media immediately linked the Spaniard, who is based in Britain, with a return to the Premier League and Newcastle United, where he was widely liked by fans but left as manager in June 2019 at the end of his contract.

His replacement Steve Bruce has failed to win over Newcastle fans and the team are 15th and on a poor run of form.

Benitez took Dalian, a fallen giant of Chinese football, to ninth of 16 CSL teams in his first season.

Last season, in a campaign which was badly disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic, they struggled badly at the start and looked in danger at one point of relegation.

In the end, Benitez comfortably kept them up but he made no attempt to hide his displeasure at the way the CSL was reorganised because of the pandemic.

All CSL players and staff were kept in a virus-secure “bubble” which meant they did not see their families for more than two months in the first stage.

League placings were then decided by two-legged matches with Dalian ending below mid-table.

In November, after ensuring Dalian’s place in next season’s CSL — which begins in the spring — Benitez said the virus-revamped league made “no sense”.

“This season, with the format of the competition, it doesn’t matter where you finish, so it’s just so strange that I don’t care,” he said.

Benitez often explained Dalian’s lowly position by saying his was the youngest squad in the CSL.

But he also had seasoned internationals Marek Hamsik, the former Napoli skipper, and former Newcastle striker Salomon Rondon.

Penning his farewell, Benitez wrote: “Behind us, in China, and especially in Dalian, we are leaving many friends and good memories in a great city with very knowledgable fans.

“We have tried to learn and understand a new culture and also to transmit a more professional, more European vision of football with a new methodology.” (AFP)

•PHOTO: Rafael Benitez

Source Daily sports

Posted January 24, 2021


 

You may also like...
Rohr Reveals Plan for New Super Eagles Striker...

Euro 2020: Uefa Launches Second Investigation Into Hungary...

FIFA To Allow Concussion Subs At Club World...

Iheanacho Hungry For More Goals

Tokyo Olympics: Quadri, Ejike To Captain Team Nigeria...

Petr Cech Appointed Chelsea Technical and Performance Adviser...

 

Latest News Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,879 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,424 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,257 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,845 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,375 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,762 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media