COVID-19: UEFA Not Planning Imminent Change Of Euro, Champions League Format

By Daily sports on January 15, 2021

UEFA is not planning any imminent changes to the format for the upcoming Champions League knockout stages or to its plans to hold the delayed Euro 2020 this year despite ongoing concerns about the coronavirus pandemic and other sporting events being cancelled.

“As far as the Euro is concerned nothing has changed,” a spokesperson for European football’s governing body told AFP.

Postponed last year, Euro 2020 is now scheduled to go ahead from June 11 to July 11 this year.

However, even if it does go ahead, it is uncertain whether it will be possible to stage the tournament as planned in 12 cities across 12 different countries, spread far and wide over the continent.

“Given the health situation, personally I think that the original idea of a competition spread all over Europe has little chance of going ahead,” Dominique Blanc, head of the Swiss Football Association, said in an interview with Swiss media this week.

The semi-finals and final are due to be played in London, but England is currently in lockdown as it grapples with an upsurge in infections related to a new variant of the Covid-19 virus.

The UEFA source told AFP that a decision will be made “city by city” by March 5 with four options on the table: “100 percent of spectators in the stadium, between 50 and 100 percent, between 20 and 30 percent, or behind closed doors.”

In recent days the Formula One Australian and Chinese Grand Prix were both postponed, while a prestigious World Cup skiing event at Wengen in Switzerland was called off due to increasing Covid-19 cases in the area.

Meanwhile, the European Champions and Challenge Cups in rugby union have been put on hold after the French government said the Covid-19 variant in Britain made it too risky for its clubs to face opponents from the United Kingdom.

The UEFA Champions League knockout stages are due to begin with the opening last 16, first legs on February 16.

Calls are growing in some quarters for athletes to be given priority access to vaccinations, but UEFA insist “it is too early to make any decision” regarding a new medical protocol for its competitions.

In his interview, Swiss FA chief Blanc floated two possible solutions for the Euro, with one being to hold the tournament in one country, “in Russia or in Germany, for example”.

Another would be to repeat the format for the closing stages of last year’s Champions League in Lisbon by bringing all teams together to play games in one city “with enough stadiums to host all six groups. That could be the case of London.”

In any case, he said, “we are heading towards a different Euro, undoubtedly without fans”. (AFP)

 

 

Source Daily sports

Posted January 15, 2021


 

You may also like...
CAF confirms Enyimba for African Football League

Enyimba ’keeper apologises for red card against Akwa...

Rennes Go Top Of Ligue 1 With Win...

Delta Force Win Aiteo FA Cup Competition in...

Crown FC Supporters Are The Best, Says GM...

Committee on Review of Imo State Sports Commission...

 

Latest News Lagos SWAN Appoints SWANECO As Buildup To Election Begins Esther Okoronkwo: Canadian club hails Super Falcons star who stepped up when it mattered in WAFCON final Super Falcons Over Ran Morocco In Grudge Comeback Game Confirming Mission X Isak situation has to be right for Newcastle - Howe Hojlund's fight to answer Man Utd's striker question Inter to make €45m Lookman offer next week Man Utd won't sell players on the cheap - Amorim Players fear consequences of speaking out - Fifpro Messi ‘very upset’ after MLS suspension for All-Star no-show WAFCON 2024 Finale: The Grudge Game Of Wits, Brawns Ensues As Hosts Morocco Dares Nigeria Late Drama as Morocco Files Shock Petition to Disqualify Nigeria’s Plumptre & Alozie Hours Before Final Newcastle consider Sesko amid Isak uncertainty

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (55,598 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (46,769 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (44,768 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (44,362 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (44,361 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (44,345 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,161 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (43,709 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (42,808 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (41,428 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (39,861 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,292 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media