Premier League, EFL Agree £250 Million Virus Rescue Package

By Daily sports on December 4, 2020

The Premier League and the English Football League agreed a £250-million rescue package on Thursday, ending months of uncertainty for lower-league clubs struggling financially during the coronavirus pandemic.

The EFL said clubs in Leagues One and Two – the third and fourth-tiers – would receive grants worth £50 million ($67 million)

The Premier League will provide a further financial commitment to help the EFL secure a £200-million loan facility for clubs in the second-tier Championship.

It follows months of negotiations between the two governing bodies, who had been criticised for their failure to reach an agreement.

The government has consistently said that the Premier League, rather than the taxpayer, must help the EFL.

“Our over-arching aim throughout this process has been to ensure that all EFL clubs survive the financial impact of the pandemic,” said EFL chairman Rick Parry.

“I am pleased that we have now reached a resolution on behalf of our clubs and as we have maintained throughout this will provide much-needed support and clarity following months of uncertainty.”

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said: “The Premier League is a huge supporter of the football pyramid and is well aware of the important role clubs play in their communities.

“Our commitment is that no EFL club need go out of business due to Covid-19.

“All football clubs continue to suffer significant financial losses as a result of the pandemic, but Premier League shareholders today unanimously agreed to provide additional funding and support for EFL clubs in real financial distress.”

The package for Leagues One and Two is understood to be £30 million to be split between the 48 clubs in those divisions, plus access to a further £20 million package of monitored grants.

The £30 million will be paid immediately from the Premier League to help cover lost matchday revenue.

The monitored grants can be applied for by clubs in need, with a joint EFL and Premier League panel ruling on eligibility.

The Premier League has committed to cover up to £15 million in interest and arrangement fees to enable a £200 million loan to be secured for Championship clubs.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said: “I warmly welcome this deal between the Premier League and the EFL, which provides up to £250 million support to help clubs through Covid. (AFP)

 

Source Daily sports

Posted December 4, 2020


 

You may also like...
Rangers International Thrash Jigawa Golden Stars 3-0

Nigerian Footballer Is First Sportsman In The World...

Family Advised Pogba To Leave Man Utd for...

Vinicius Shines As Tottenham Spank LASK

Finals of JOF U-13 tournament holds April 27...

Kane Rejects Diving Claims in Tottenham, Arsenal Clash...

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,320 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,490 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,474 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,075 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,059 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,057 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,874 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,420 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,531 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,134 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,572 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,994 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media