Fans, Police Clash Over Access To Maradona Wake

By Daily Sports on November 26, 2020

Argentine police and fans who were lined up to see the casket of soccer icon Diego Maradona clashed on Thursday as authorities moved to shut down access to the Casa Rosada presidential palace ahead of a planned 4pm (1900 GMT) shutoff for the public wake.

Images on local TV appeared to show canisters of tear gas being thrown, with riot police and others on motorbikes trying to hold back the crowd, desperate to pay respects to Maradona who died on Wednesday, aged 60.

Thousands of fans had been queuing for more than a mile through the streets of Buenos Aires since early on Thursday to see the casket, which is lying in state before a planned burial later in the evening.

"We were calm lining up and suddenly, the police started to fire rubber bullets. Crazy, I just want to say goodbye to Diego," Rubén Hernández, 35, told Reuters.

Addressing the tensions, interior minister Gustavo Russo said that the procession with the casket would look to travel along the route where people were waiting, to allow people to say their goodbyes. (Reuters)

•PHOTO: Argentine Police restraining Maradona fans . . . on Thursday

Source Daily Sports

Posted November 26, 2020


 

You may also like...
Man United Look To Keep Up Pace In...

Edo Aiteo Cup: ‘Dynamite and Insurance should not...

Salah’s injury ruins Egypt’s World Cup hopes

Serena Williams Knocked Out of French Open Third...

Ronaldo breaks La Liga penalty record

West Ham Come Back Twice To Earn Draw...

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,321 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,492 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,475 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,077 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,062 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,058 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,875 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,421 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,534 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,135 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,574 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,995 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media