By Daily sports on October 4, 2020
The number of players positive for coronavirus at Genoa has risen to 17 after three more cases were discovered in the squad, the Serie A team announced on Saturday.
In a statement, Genoa said that defenders Davide Biraschi and Domenico Criscito and young Swiss forward Darian Males, on loan from Inter Milan, were positive for Covid-19 following tests carried out on Friday.
The latest results bring the number of people on the playing and coaching staff at the club with the virus to 22. Their Serie A match against Torino, originally scheduled for Saturday, has been postponed.
Of the 17 players to test positive, 11 played either as starters or substitutes during last weekend's thumping 6-0 defeat at Napoli.
So far, just one Napoli player – Poland midfielder Poitr Zielinski – has been recorded as having the virus but a new round of tests were scheduled for Gennaro Gattuso’s team on Saturday ahead of their clash with champions Juventus on Sunday evening.
On Saturday, Juve coach Andrea Pirlo said that he didn't believe there was “any risk” of the match not being played.
“I don’t think there will be problems that mean we can’t play the match,” he told reporters.
“We’ve prepared for the match like all the other teams have so tomorrow evening we will be ready to play. It (the situation) hasn't changed anything for us at all.”
No Napoli players have been called up to the Italy squad for the three matches Roberto Mancini's side have between October 7-14 against Moldova, Poland and the Netherlands.
The Italian Football Federation said that the decision to not select the club's players was a “precautionary measure” following the outbreak at Genoa.
Atalanta also announced on Saturday that one case “with low viral load was diagnosed within the team group”, adding that the unnamed player was asymptomatic. (AFP)
•PHOTO: Genoa players
Source Daily sports
Posted October 4, 2020
You may also like...
Why I Sent Off Diego Costa against Barcelona...
Barca’s Players Must Believe They Can Turn Things...
Bolt powers All Stars to victory in Australia...
Ezenwa vows Eagles will be at their best...
Rio Olympics: Oshodi optimistic of Table Tennis medals...
Hollande warns unions against strike to disrupt Euro...

Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ
NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off
Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff
Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney
Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies
Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot
Onyekwere-Lyons eyes double Commonwealth Games glory
Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,568 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,875 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,423 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,257 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,124 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,844 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,374 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,762 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)