By Daily sports on August 12, 2020
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has insisted that star man Lionel Messi will end his career at Camp Nou as rumours of the Argentine's possible exit continue to swirl.
Following Barca's 8-2 humiliation at the hands of Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-final last week, the Liga club has been plunged into crisis.
Head coach Quique Setien and technical manager Eric Abidal have already departed, with Bartomeu confirming on Tuesday that Ronald Koeman will be named the club's next head coach.
All eyes are on Messi, however, as the superstar enters the final season of his contract at Barcelona amid talk that he could be ready to leave the club.
Inter has been mooted as a possible destination for Messi, with Nerazzurri president Massimo Moratti describing a move for the 33-year-old as "more than a dream."
Bartomeu, however, whose own future has been called into question despite announcing presidential elections will not take place until March 2021, has insisted that Messi is going nowhere.
“Messi wants to end his career at Barcelona," Bartomeu told Barca TV. "I regularly speak to him and his father. He’s part of our project. Koeman will be the new manager and he told me that Messi is a key player for our new project.
Though he said Messi will not be leaving, Bartomeu did reveal that plenty of other Barca stars could be sold as part of a clear-out, admitting that a cull should have possibly happened a year ago.
"The renovation will be as deep as necessary," Bartomeu said. "I decided to give this generation the opportunity for another year. Perhaps it was time to start the renovation last year."
Barca will have to sell if they are to raise the funds needed to buy at least one of two main targets: PSG star Neymar and Inter striker Lautaro Martinez.
Bartomeu, though, did not sound optimistic about the possibility of adding either player this summer.
"Neymar back to Barcelona? PSG don’t want to sell him on this summer," the president said. "We’re not in talks for Lautaro Martinez right now, we stopped negotiations with Inter at the end of June. We’ll see what will happen.” (Goal)
•PHOTO: Messi and Bartomeu
Source Daily sports
Posted August 19, 2020
You may also like...
Crisis rocks National Youth Games, four Edo athletes...
Paris 2024: Falcons hold Lionesses in Douala
Ronaldo: I Hope to Return to Real Madrid...
Ibrahimovic Set To Feature In Milan Derby
REVEALED: Why Lampard Resisted Newcastle Approach
Ibrahimovic Launches Coronavirus Fund

Joshua, Fury in contract stalemate
Agunbiade emerges Nigeria’s lone survivor at WTT Lagos
Nigeria call-up boosted my confidence – Alebiosu
First Eagles invite thrills Rangers’ Oputa
270 athletes begin journey to stardom in Edo
Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double
2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off
Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,789 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,112 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,069 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,636 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,550 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,454 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,846 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,034 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,529 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,958 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,405 views)