By Daily Sports on August 8, 2020
Michael Ojo, a Nigerian basketball player who previously played for Red Star Belgrade, died at the age of 27 during a training session in the Serbian capital on Friday, the club said.
“We are deeply saddened by the news”, Red Star’s spokesperson Igor Vujicin told AFP.
The club couldn’t confirm the cause of death, but local media reported that Ojo suffered a heart attack.
Born in Lagos, the 2.16 metre (7ft 1in) centre played for Florida State University in the United States before coming to Europe to start his professional career.
After a stint with the Belgrade team FMP Zeleznik, he moved to European giants Red Star, where he spent two seasons, quickly becoming a fan favourite.
Ojo had been without a club since June 30 but was still training with Red Star.
But his former team released a statement mourning the loss of the “cheerful giant”.
“The sudden and shocking death of Michael Ojo has deeply affected everyone — players, coaches and the management of a club that accepted him from the first day, and that he considered his own,” Red Star said.
EuroLeague also extended condolences to Ojo’s family, teammates, coaches, “and many fans who enjoyed his performances” (AFP)
•PHOTO: Late Michael Ojo
Source Daily Sports
Posted August 8, 2020
You may also like...
Eagles W’Cup qualification in danger after Bafana stalemate...
FG hails World Heavyweight Champion Anthony Joshua; likely...
Atletico, Inter Join English Clubs In ESL Withdrawal...
Chelsea Spank Arsenal to Win Europa League
Oliseh praises Morocco, Senegal historic World Cup feat...
Nigeria not qualified for World Cup yet- Rohr...

WAFCON: Ajibade insists Falcons gave everything
Dolphins begin WBPL title defence with 59-46 win
Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward
Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins
Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset
Thrills as Nigerian women win 2026 ABVD Cup
Ajibade, Babajide promise Falcons comeback
Madugu apologises, Falcons heartbroken as NFF probes W’Cup failure
Agege LG boss kicks off 2026 Obasa Summer Games
Super Falcons miss first Women’s World Cup after 2-1 S’Africa loss
Joshua, Fury fight hits stumbling block
Coach apologises to Nigerians over Falcons World Cup miss
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,031 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,389 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,279 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,879 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,757 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,633 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,530 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,040 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,249 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,718 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,206 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,584 views)