By Daily Sports on June 30, 2020
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is bracing himself for the loss of teenage midfielder Angel Gomes, whose Manchester United contract expires on Tuesday.
The highly rated 19-year-old came through the academy at Old Trafford and made his debut aged 16 in May 2017, becoming the youngest player since Duncan Edwards in the 1950s to feature for the first team.
But Gomes has only made 10 first-team appearances and contract talks hit a roadblock, with Solskjaer now expecting the United midfielder to leave when his contract runs out.
Asked at a press conference on Monday if Gomes would be staying at the club, the United boss said: “I’ve got no news, nothing, so it doesn’t look like it.”
Gomes was part of England’s Under-17 World Cup triumph in 2017 and earlier this month Solskjaer said he was hoping that the teenager would sign a new deal.
Pushed to clarify if Gomes was leaving, Solskjaer added: “To be honest, I’ve not heard from them last night or this morning, so it seems like that they haven’t managed to agree (a deal), so the answer is probably short and ‘yes’ then.”
United, in sixth place in the Premier League, travel to face Brighton on Tuesday, five points behind fourth-placed Chelsea in the race for a Champions League spot.
Marcus Rashford, who was able to recover from a back injury during the coronavirus shutdown, is yet to add to his 19-goal haul this season since football resumed.
“Of course, Marcus has been out for a while but I think he’s looked sharp,” Solskjaer said.
“He came on and looked sharp again against Norwich (in the FA Cup). Against Sheffield United he missed one or two chances but the goals he created I think is what we’re focusing on.
“I think Marcus is on his way to the best season ever at Man United, so, for me, I’m just looking forward to him getting more and more minutes. He’ll definitely score a goal soon.”
United are on an unbeaten run of 14 matches in all competitions ahead of the trip to Brighton, where they have lost both their previous clashes with the Seagulls.
Solskjaer is expecting another tough match on the south coast and an intense fight for a top-four spot. (AFP)
•PHOTO: Angel Gomez
Source Daily Sports
Posted June 30, 2020
You may also like...
10-Man Ajax Stun Table-Toppers PSV to Throw Dutch...
Eagles land in Luxembourg for international friendly
Real Madrid Stumble Again in Disappointing Draw at...
River Plate beat Boca Juniors to claim fourth...
Djokovic beats Stepanek to reach Qatar semis
2022 NFF Presidency: Forward With Emeruwa Christian

Falcons to get new coach before Olympic qualifier
Okocha bemoans Eagles’ lack of home ground
Ajayi set for Silesia Diamond League showdown
Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move
Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60
Ikogosi Road Race returns Oct 31
WAFCON: Ajibade insists Falcons gave everything
Dolphins begin WBPL title defence with 59-46 win
Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward
Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins
Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,035 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,391 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,282 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,883 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,760 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,636 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,534 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,046 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,252 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,723 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,207 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,585 views)