US Open To Go Ahead Without Fans

By Daily Sports on June 17, 2020

The US Open will be held without fans from 31 August to 13 September, after plans were approved by governor of New York Andrew Cuomo.

The Grand Slam will be held at Flushing Meadows, despite some players voicing concerns about travelling to New York.

There have been no professional tennis events since March because of the coronavirus pandemic.

“We can showcase tennis as the ideal social distancing sport,” US Tennis Association chief Mike Dowse said.

Cuomo wrote that “extraordinary precautions” would be in place to protect players, including coronavirus testing and extra locker room space.

The United States has the highest number of coronavirus cases and the highest death toll in the world and New York is the hardest-hit state, with more than 30,000 deaths.

“We recognise the tremendous responsibility of hosting one of the first global sporting events in these challenging times,” a USTA statement read.

“We will do so in the safest manner possible, mitigating all potential risks.”

Further details about the tournament will be announced on Wednesday.

Queens, the New York borough where the US Open is held at Flushing Meadows, has the second-highest death toll of any county in the US.

The Billie Jean King National Tennis Centre, where the Slam is held, was turned into a temporary hospital to help with the crisis.

Australia’s Nick Kyrgios called tournament organisers “selfish” for pushing ahead with the event.

Defending men’s champion Rafael Nadal previously said he “had little desire” to play the event, while world number one Novak Djokovic has called the proposed protocols “extreme”. (BBC)

•PHOTO: US Open Trophy 

Source Daily Sports

Posted June 17, 2020


 

You may also like...
19 forwards and £600m later... is Joao Pedro...

Messi Back In Barca Training Ahead Of Mallorca...

2025 Session of the Ondo Auto Rally to...

Chelsea Owner Warns EPL “Big Six”

Adesanya, Maia relish Aukland meeting

Legendary Real Madrid Skipper Ramos To Quit Club...

 

Latest News Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal I’m going to school Paul – Joshua EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing 'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,185 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,922 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,503 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,632 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,590 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media