Olympic Games Would Be Cancelled If Not Held In 2021 — IOC Chief

By Daily Sports on May 21, 2020

International Olympic Committee (IOC) chief Thomas Bach says the Tokyo Games would have to be scrapped if the event cannot be held next year due to the Covid-19 crisis.

In March, the IOC and Japanese government took the unprecedented decision to delay the Games, which had been due to start in July, for a year due to the novel coronavirus outbreak.

However, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has said the multi-sports event cannot take place in 2021 unless the virus is contained and Bach said he understood his position.

The novel coronavirus has infected more than 17 100 people in Japan, causing 797 deaths.

"Quite frankly, I have some understanding for this, because you can't forever employ 3 000 or 5,000 people in an Organising Committee,” Bach told the BBC.

“You can’t every year change the entire sports schedule worldwide of all the major federations. You can’t have the athletes being in uncertainty.”

Bach said the IOC was committed to holding the Games next year though it had to be prepared for various scenarios including quarantining athletes.

“What could this mean for the life in an Olympic Village?” he said.

“All these different scenarios are under consideration and this is why I’m saying it’s a mammoth task, because there are so many different options that it’s not easy to address them (now).

“When we have a clear view on how the world will look on July 23, 2021, then (we will) take the appropriate decisions.” (Reuters)

 

 

Source Daily Sports

Posted May 21, 2020


 

You may also like...
Usain Bolt declares his ‘sports life over’

BREAKING NEWS: Liverpool Win Premier League Title With...

CAF Confederation Cup Quarter-Final First Leg: Enyimba Set...

SPORTS LAW with AMOBI EZEAKU, Esq.: Contractual Stability:...

Aiteo Cup: Rangers exhibited true Igbo spirit in...

Tanzania beat Nigeria in Cricket World Cup qualifier...

 

Latest News Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double 2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success Adeshina to headline PFL Africa Lagos debut Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,786 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,109 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,066 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,632 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,548 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,451 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,844 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,030 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,528 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,955 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,405 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media