Witsel And Can Miss Bundesliga Restart After Quitting Quarantine

By Daily Sports on May 13, 2020

Former Liverpool star Emre Can and Belgian international Axel Witsel will miss Borussia Dortmund’s derby with Schalke 04 on Saturday as German football makes a tentative return.

As with all other fixtures in the rest of the Bundesliga season, it will be played behind closed doors with the players quarantined for a week before kick-off.

Because Can and Witsel both need treatment to muscle strains, they have had to leave the team’s quarantine ‘bubble’ so cannot play on Saturday.

Known as the Ruhr derby, Dortmund v Schalke is a key fixture as German football blazes a trail for Europe’s top leagues by resuming two months after it was halted, but without spectators.

It will be the first major European league to resume after the outbreak of the pandemic, which has so far claimed around 7,500 lives in Germany.

As the Bundesliga restarts Dortmund are second in the table, four points behind Bayern Munich and a single point ahead of third placed RB Leipzig.

Witsel and German central midfielder Can, who spent four years at Liverpool and recently joined Dortmund on loan from Juventus, both picked up injuries in training after the long lay-off.

Dortmund have played two training matches without the injured pair as they prepare for the first Ruhr derby in its 95-year history without a crowd.

“We are used to playing at home in front of 82,000,” Dortmund coach Lucien Favre told the Bild daily.

“To prepare mentally now to play without being cheered and without being pushed by the atmosphere is an extreme challenge.” (AFP)

•PHOTO: Emre Can 

Source Daily Sports

Posted May 13, 2020


 

You may also like...
This is Ranger’s year – Amapakabo

Di Maria Fires PSG into French Cup Semis...

Boniface banned, fined €25,000 for offensive gesture

Boboye says title race not done & dusted...

Iwobi leads resurgent Toffees against Magpies

Tottenham In Race To Sign Eberechi Eze

 

Latest News Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot Onyekwere-Lyons eyes double Commonwealth Games glory Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict Athletes protest as Ogun award N474m for NSF medallists Ajagba eyes tougher fights after knocking Martin out Eagles to face Jordan in March friendly Senegal coach hails Falconets strength in W’Cup qualifier defeat

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,563 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,870 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,781 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,419 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,334 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,253 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,121 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,669 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,839 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,369 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,761 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,229 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media