By Daily Sports on May 10, 2020
Jacare Souza has tested positive for Covid-19 and is out of Saturday's controversial UFC 249 event – the first of three in seven days in Florida.
Souza, 40, was due to fight Uriah Hall in Jacksonville on a card topped by Tony Ferguson’s bout with fellow American Justin Gaethje.
But the Brazilian middleweight and his two cornermen returned positive tests.
UFC president Dana White has faced criticism for staging a show during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
White, 50, said putting the event on was the “hardest thing he’s ever tried to do”, while boxing promoter Bob Arum has accused his fellow American of “cowboy behaviour”.
The UFC said Souza and his cornermen were asymptomatic and left the host hotel to self-isolate, where they will be monitored remotely by a medical team.
“From their arrival earlier in the week until their departure today, Souza and his cornermen followed UFC health and safety protocols, including practicing social distancing, wearing personnel protective equipment, and self-isolating whenever possible,” a UFC statement read.
“There have been no other positive Covid-19 tests reported from the remaining athletes participating in UFC 249. The response to this development is indicative of the effectiveness of the health and safety measures UFC has put in place for this event.”
Hall, who will now not compete, tweeted Souza: “Brother I know it sucks. I’m sorry you have to go through this I am beyond devastated for the missed opportunity. I wish you nothing but recovery for you and your family.” (BBC)
•PHOTO: Jacare Souza
Source Daily Sports
Posted May 10, 2020
You may also like...
UEFA on Thursday named six Chelsea players in...
Edewor eyes Pinnick’s job
Mane Working Hard To Help Liverpool
Spence labels Peterson a better fighter than Kell...
Oshodi reveals plans for African table tennis
FIBA okays the use of hijab

Joshua, Fury in contract stalemate
Agunbiade emerges Nigeria’s lone survivor at WTT Lagos
Nigeria call-up boosted my confidence – Alebiosu
First Eagles invite thrills Rangers’ Oputa
270 athletes begin journey to stardom in Edo
Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double
2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off
Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,789 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,112 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,069 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,636 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,550 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,454 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,846 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,034 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,530 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,959 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,405 views)