By Daily Sports on April 14, 2020
Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic has criticised his club for their recent treatment of him and for trying to force his departure last year.
The Croatian has been at Barca since 2014 but has fallen out of contention this campaign due to the arrival of Dutch midfielder Frenkie de Jong and has only started 10 of Barca’s 27 La Liga matches.
“I understand the situation but I’m not a sack of potatoes who you can do anything with,” the 32-year-old told Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo.
“I want to be somewhere I feel wanted and respected. If that’s here then I’ll be delighted but if it’s somewhere else then I’ll be the one who decides where, not anyone else.”
Rakitic confirmed that he refused to move to Paris St Germain last year as part of a deal to bring Neymar back to the Camp Nou.
He also spoke of his disappointment at losing his place in the team this season but insisted he wishes to see out his contract, which ends in 2021 and would mean Barca would not be able to earn a transfer fee from his departure.
“Last year was the best of the six I’ve had here and I was annoyed with how I was treated. I was very surprised and I didn’t understand it. The results have not been the best and I haven’t played much, that is why I felt hurt,” he said.
“I had a very strange first half of the season, it was very uncomfortable and surprising for me. But I hope I can finish this last year of my contract.”
Barcelona are currently top of the standings in La Liga which is suspended indefinitely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. (Reuters)
•PHOTO: Ivan Rakitic
Source Daily Sports
Posted April 14, 2020
You may also like...
Man Utd Players Convinced Ronaldo ‘ll Push For...
Chelsea forward Eden Hazard's move to Real Madrid...
Events of the time and rumbles in CAF...
Pep Guardiola CONVINCED Patrick Vieira is ready to...
Wolves Boss Nuno To Leave At End Of...
Jose Peresie: Moonlight Tales According To Ibrahim Gusau...

Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother
Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney
First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor
Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp
Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu
Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday
NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands
Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ
NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,880 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,788 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,424 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,258 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,673 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,846 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,376 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,763 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)