Fifa Draws Up Guidelines To Tackle Pay-Cut Complaints

By Daily Sports on April 6, 2020

Fifa is getting ready to deal with complaints and appeals over wage cuts for players, producing guidelines for clubs and football bodies looking to cut costs during the stoppage caused by the coronavirus pandemic, an internal document seen by Reuters showed.

The issue of pay cuts for players has exploded as a major controversy in England while in other countries, such as Germany and Spain, players have accepted temporary reductions in earnings.

With football halted across the globe, however, Fifa is aware that it may well have to deal with a series of different agreements and possible complaints, and its guidelines urge any cuts to be “proportionate”.

Fifa’s Coronavirus working group met last week and agreed on a wide range of issues, summarised in the document, including that player contracts due to run out in June should be extended to the end of any resumed season.

The internal paper notes that such decisions will inevitably reflect national law and specific agreements in each country but says it is keen to avoid large discrepancies between similar leagues and clubs. It also urges clubs, leagues and players to reach “appropriate collective agreements”.

The guiding principles behind such deals should be to “guarantee some form of salary payment to players and coaches, avoid litigation, protect contractual stability, and ensure clubs do not go bankrupt, while considering the financial impact of Covid-19 on clubs”.

Crucially, the document states that where clubs and employees cannot reach agreement and where “national law does not address the situation or collective agreements are not applicable”, unilateral decisions to change contracts “will only be recognised when they are otherwise deemed reasonable” by Fifa’s Dispute Resolutions Chamber or Players Status Committee.

A “reasonable” contractual change will take into account the economic situation of a club, the proportionality of any salary amendment and the net income of the employee after that amendment, Fifa writes in the document.

Fifa will also take into account whether the decision applies to the entire squad or only specific employees, and whether the club attempted in good faith to reach a mutual agreement with its employees.

The Fifa document summarising the working group’s views will be submitted to the Bureau of the Fifa Council for approval.

A Fifa spokesman said it was not in a position to comment as a proposal was being made to the Council, and “we cannot pre-empt that decision”.

The coronavirus working group is composed of representatives from across the game including the Fifa administration, confederations, national federations, the European Club Association (ECA), players union FIFPRO and the World Leagues Forum. (Reuters)

 

 

Source Daily Sports

Posted April 6, 2020


 

You may also like...
UEFA Opens Disciplinary Probe Into Super League Against...

UEFA Releases 236 Million Euros To Aid Member...

Nigeria to lose Commonwealth Games relay gold after...

Osimhen eyes 60th Napoli goal in season opener...

Dalung and Amaju Pinnick’s corruption suit

Rohr calls Musa, Onazi, Ekong, 21 others for...

 

Latest News Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal I’m going to school Paul – Joshua EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing 'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,186 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,923 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,508 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,633 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,592 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media