Suarez ‘Hurt’ By Criticism Of Barca Players’ Pay Cut Delay

By Daily Sports on April 4, 2020

Uruguay star Luis Suarez complained on Thursday that he has been “hurt” by criticism of him and fellow millionaire Barcelona players for the time it took to agree to pay cuts to help out other club employees.

Argentine superstar Lionel Messi announced on Monday that Barca’s players had agreed to a 70 percent pay cut and to make contributions to ensure the club’s non-playing staff could be paid in full during the state of alarm in Spain caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Footballers across Europe’s top leagues have come under fire as some clubs have made cuts to their non-playing staff or their salaries while many wealthy players have yet to see their incomings affected.

“It hurts because we were the first to want to reach an agreement,” Suarez told Uruguayan radio station Sport890.

“We know the situation the club is in, the situation the world is in right now and it was a minimal detail (holding up the agreement).

“But people have said things like us players didn’t want to give in; that the basketball and handball players came to an agreement and we didn’t.

“We hadn’t come to an agreement because we were waiting to find the best solution for the club, and to our benefit and trying to help the employees.”

In announcing the agreement, Messi had directed a thinly veiled swipe at the Barca board, led by president Josep Maria Bartomeu, whom he accused of undermining the players during recent negotiations.

His lengthy Instagram post was shared by a slew of teammates, including Suarez.

Striker Suarez, who has remained in Spain unlike some of his European-based international teammates such as Edinson Cavani and Diego Godin, called on Uruguay to impose a strict lockdown.

“It’s the best solution for everyone. I know it’s difficult in Uruguay where many people live day today … but if we don’t all come together and go in the same direction, it’s going to be difficult to come out of this situation,” he said.

Uruguay has partially closed its borders, shut schools and shopping malls and advised people to social distance and stay at home, but hasn’t imposed a lockdown.

So far, the country has had 350 coronavirus cases and four deaths. (AFP)

•PHOTO: Luis Suarez 

Source Daily Sports

Posted April 4, 2020


 

You may also like...
Okocha speaks on Nigeria vs. South Africa clash...

How Sarri and His Captain Messed Up in...

Tyson Fury ordered to lose more weight ahead...

Pinnick off to Zurich for FIFA Committee meeting...

Remo bolster squad with foreign signings

Juventus sack manager Tudor after seven months

 

Latest News Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal I’m going to school Paul – Joshua EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing 'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,186 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,923 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,507 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,633 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,592 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media