By Daily Sports on March 30, 2020
British boxer Anthony Yarde urged the public to stay at home after revealing his father has died of the coronavirus.
Yarde, who fought Sergey Kovalev for the Russian’s cruiserweight world title last year, said his father had been “fit with no health issues”.
Like many parts of the world, Britain is under lockdown in a bid to stop the spread of the pandemic.
There have been over 17,000 confirmed cases in Britain and Yarde, 28, called on people to respect the situation and stay at home.
“I’m a very private person and I’m still in shock but maybe this can help people stay at home,” Yarde wrote on Instagram.
“My dad passed away from this virus yesterday and he was fit with no health issues. The more people go out and mingle the longer this isolation will last and the more it will spread.
“I’m not a doctor but I do know if you stay home you are less likely to catch it or pass it on. It’s seriously not worth the risk.”
A statement from Yarde’s promoter Frank Warren said: “Frank Warren and everyone at Queensberry Promotions would like to express sincere condolences to Anthony Yarde and his family after the untimely passing of his father.
“Coronavirus is an issue affecting all of us, but that doesn’t make the individual casualties any less tragic.
“We hope that his fans listen to Anthony’s heartfelt plea for people to take the government’s advice seriously so we can try and minimise the suffering of others.” (AFP)
•PHOTO: Anthony Yarde
Source Daily Sports
Posted March 30, 2020
You may also like...
BBC Man Says Fate Is Taking Liverpool to...
Maria Sharapova enters Wimbledon qualifying
‘Hungry’ Joshua Says No Celebration If He Beats...
Odey, Olatunbosun Set for Eagles Call up
Sevilla appoint Montella to replace sacked Berizzo
Abidal’s Wife Seeks Divorce Over Links To PSG’s...

Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off
Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff
Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney
Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies
Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot
Onyekwere-Lyons eyes double Commonwealth Games glory
Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest
W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict
Athletes protest as Ogun award N474m for NSF medallists
Eagles to face Jordan in March friendly
Senegal coach hails Falconets strength in W’Cup qualifier defeat
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,566 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,871 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,784 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,420 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,336 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,255 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,122 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,670 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,841 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,371 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,761 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,230 views)