Fury-Wilder Rematch Postponed Over COVID-19

By Daily Sports on March 26, 2020

The third fight in Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder’s heavyweight rivalry has been postponed as the coronavirus pandemic grips the United States and Britain, ESPN reported on Tuesday.

Britain’s Fury, who dethroned unbeaten WBC champion Wilder with a dominant victory in seven rounds last month, had been due to defend his crown in Las Vegas on July 18.

But promoter Bob Arum told ESPN on Tuesday the rematch had now been rescheduled until October at the earliest because of the COVID-19 outbreak which has brought the sporting world to a standstill.

With travel restrictions affecting both the US and Britain, and Las Vegas’ casinos shuttered, Arum said a postponement was the only sensible option.

“You could not guarantee the fighters that the event would take place on that date. We couldn’t convince them or ourselves,” Arum said.

“Where were they going to train for it? It just made no sense. You just have to take a step back. How are you going to sell tickets?

“It’s absolutely ridiculous to say the fight is on when the Brits can’t even get there.”

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has also banned all combat sports in the state, adding another complication.

“Everybody has to take a step back. Boxing is not isolated,” Arum said. “It’s part of what’s happening in the world. So possibly the fight will be in early October.”

Fury and Wilder fought to a thrilling draw in their first fight in Los Angeles in December 2018.

Fury then shocked the boxing world by overwhelming Wilder with a dominant performance in last month’s rematch, battering an out-of-sorts Wilder in a one-sided victory. (AFP)

•PHOTO: Fury and Wilder 

Source Daily Sports

Posted March 26, 2020


 

You may also like...
Arsenal make Ivan Perisic approach

Owumi emerges new boss of ex-Rangers association

Nigeria’s Abbey eyes Commonwealth title vs. Hopewell

New Nigeria Star Maja Hoping For Arsenal Move...

Wimbledon 2016 - Roger Federer reaches semi-finals

Chelsea Agree Personal Terms With Ajax Winger Ziyech...

 

Latest News Nobody'll Stop Me From Contesting 2027 Election, Obi Vows -Even If It Holds in Their Bedroom -Assures Youths Of Accountability In Governance FIFA Monday meeting to determine Eagles’ World Cup fate Adesanya keen to prove GOAT status Davis Cup: Ochei sparks Nigeria’s tennis revival 56 grassroots clubs battle for Taiwo Afolabi Cup ICYMI: CAF reaffirms Morocco as host of WAFCON 2026, rejects postponement talk PHOTOS: Kenya’s Ezra Kering wins 2026 Lagos city marathon Chukwuemka prefers Austria to Nigeria Enekwechi throws season best, Okezie finishes second in Serbia Ogazi wins SEC Runner of the Week Lookman has matched Osimhen’s impact – Peseiro West Ham plot Chukwueze summer hijack

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,558 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,866 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,777 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,417 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,331 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,249 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,117 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,667 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,836 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,367 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,759 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,223 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media