By Daily Sports on February 8, 2020
Barcelona president Josip Maria Bartomeu has backed new head coach Quique Setien to be a success for the club, despite a controversial beginning to his reign in charge of the Camp Nou side.
The former Real Betis boss was appointed over the winter break following the sacking of Ernesto Valverde, but over the course of the last week a storm has been whipped up around the club as Lionel Messi had a public spat with sporting director Eric Abidal on social media after the latter suggested that certain players had not tried sufficiently under the previous boss.
The mood was not helped as Barca crashed out of the Copa del Rey with a defeat against Athletic Bilbao, but despite the 1-0 reverse on Thursday away from home, Bartomeu was more than satisfied with the fare on offer.
"We had clear chances and played well," Bartomeu told Barca TV . "We created a lot and I want to congratulate the players for how they played. They showed ambition and motivation.
"Athletic had one shot on goal at the end and won the game. We deserved to go through, but it wasn't possible. I reiterate that I liked the ambition shown by the team on the pitch, because it's a tough place to come and the home fans are on top of you.
"Now we have La Liga and the Champions League to focus on. Playing like that, I am sure success will follow."
His view echoed the feelings of the coach, who said that he is content with the way the squad is developing, despite their latest setback.
“Taking into account what has happened to us in other games from home, we have taken a step forward in terms of what we have to improve,” Setien told reporters.
“It is the same as ever; there are days when you have one chance and put it in, and there are days where you have ten and can’t do it. There isn’t a reasonable explanation. (SuperSport)
•PHOTO: Bartomeu and Setien
Source Daily Sports
Posted February 8, 2020
You may also like...
NFF commends LMC, Clubs, Media, Fans on successful...
COVID-19 Has Hampered Man Utd Progress, Says Rangnick...
Denmark thrash Dream Team
NFF mourns as Lizzy Onyewenwa passes on
CAF to announce AFCON 2019 decision in November...
eam Nigeria wins bronze at Africa Senior Squash...

Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest
W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict
Athletes protest as Ogun award N474m for NSF medallists
Eagles to face Jordan in March friendly
Senegal coach hails Falconets strength in W’Cup qualifier defeat
Chelle eyes foreign Eagles to strengthen Nigerian team
Nobody'll Stop Me From Contesting 2027 Election, Obi Vows -Even If It Holds in Their Bedroom -Assures Youths Of Accountability In Governance
FIFA Monday meeting to determine Eagles’ World Cup fate
Adesanya keen to prove GOAT status
Davis Cup: Ochei sparks Nigeria’s tennis revival
56 grassroots clubs battle for Taiwo Afolabi Cup
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,561 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,867 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,779 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,418 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,332 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,252 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,120 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,668 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,838 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,368 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,760 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,228 views)